disappearing objects

i am writing a shooter and i encountered a
funny problem - as i move further away from objects i draw they start disappearing on me.

when i’m close to the objects they look fine,
but as i move away, edges start disappearing then faces disappear until finally the entire object disappears -
did anyone encounter such a problem or might have an idea what’s wrong with my program.

thanks
alan.

They are probably being culled at the far clip plane. Set the value for the high clip plane to a higher number.

j

thanks, but that’s not it.

you see, first i draw the walls of the game and then i draw the detailed objects that are in the game - only the detail objects have this problem - the walls that are behind the objects are not effected for some reason - so it’s not the clipping plane.

any other ideas???

alan

Hmmmm… That is strange.

Maybe polygon draw mode, or something like that?

Other than something like that, I have no idea.

Maybe a screenshot would help.

j

i don’t know how to get screenshots,

the wierd thing is that the polygons don’t disappear at once, they don’t “blink” out of existance, the polygons paritally disappear, then reappear , then disappear again.
wierd huh???

i know the problem is with my drawing function, because i tried drawing a regular cube next to my objects from outside the drawing function - and the cube stayed intact!!!

by the way, if you can tell me how i can get a screenshot, i’d be more than happy send it to you.

thanks for trying to help,
but it looks like a long day of dubugging for me.

alan

never mind - i solved my problem.

i don’t know why it works, but it works.
(i simply moved the draw of the detailed objects to be the last thing drawn - and it solved it - i don’t know why it made a difference because i used a depth buffer and it shouldn’t have mattered).

thanks alan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alan:
[b]i don’t know how to get screenshots,

If you are using windoze (perhaps Linux as well?) then shift-printscreen will copy a bmp of your screen to the clipboard. Then paste it into any bmp viewer, paint for example.

Probably that was z-aliasing. AFAIK With nearplane=1,farplane=100 75=85. So detailed objects might be not well-rendered.