Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: optimizations

Senior Member Regular Contributor

optimizations

in the quest for higher performances, i'd like to optimize the way i send to opengl informations.
    in particular, i'd like to minimize the workload of transfers to t&l cards like the geforce.

since i want my models to be fairly accurate (many polygons), i minimize transfers to opengl by performing a object-space polygon culling (also known as early culling)
    once i have selected the pvs of polygons, i have to send them to opengl, and there are three ways to go:
    -straight opengl with glVertex, glTexcoord, ...
    -display lists
    -vertex arrays

as far as i know these methods are the only existing... maybe there are anothers?

the objects are moving, so i won't rely on exploiting coherency in some way: polygons will frequently be in or out the pvs.

what is the best way to go?
    ...first method apart, i'm currently using it

how about using some "mesh to strip" algo every frame?

thank you people

Dolo/\/\ightY
    Dolo/\/\ightY

Member Contributor

Re: optimizations

This is interesting, I'm searching something too on this topic.
    What I would like to experiment, is the use of some algorithm to compute progressive level-of-detail meshes. I have a code example I found somewhere in the net... let me know if you are interested.
    Also, I read that using compiled vertex arrays is one of the best ways to send geometry.
    i.e. with CVAs you can exploit vertex sharing, and vertex processing occurs only once in multipass rendering.

[This message has been edited by paolom (edited 02-17-2000).]
    --
    Paolo M.

yes i'm interested paolom !

i made some benchmarking, these are the results.

config:
    Pentium II 350 128 MB windows 98
    riva TNT agp, windowed 400x400, 32 bpp
    early culling, release version
    model is textured and chromed, 770 verts, 1482 faces

straight opengl: 90,92
    display lists (compile): 85,48
    display lists (compile&execute): 8,35
    vertex arrays: 91,72
    compiled vertex arrays: 88,87

it seems the way to go is with vertex arrays.

the model is a starship, with normals and texture coordinates per face (3 of each)
    the model is then chromed with a second pass using opengl sphere mapping and additive/screen blending (GL_ONE,GL_ONE)
    the geometry for the chroming pass is not evaluated again: this to exploit vertex array pre-transform (let's call it this way)

it's strange: with display lists in compile mode i create the model's list an then i draw it with glCallList(), and it runs smooth.
    when using compile/execute mode for glNewList() opengl is supposed to create the list and draw things on the fly, so should be optimized somehow and probably faster than a separate call to glCallList() after the list has been created...
    but it run with snail-speed...

as always, it depends on implementation !
    i'll benchmark it on the g200 at work, and on the geforce (when it comes in...)

Dolo/\/\ightY
    Dolo/\/\ightY

Hi dmy!

"...a second pass using opengl sphere mapping and additive/screen blending (GL_ONE,GL_ONE)..."

How do you avoid a z-buffer-fight in the second pass? I tried to put a texture onto a sphere and in a second pass a kind of reflection with blending (I do not want to do multitexturing!). But sometimes the second Texture is in front, sometimes the first one, which looks more then ugly. I helped myself by scaling the second sphere a little bit larger but this will not work with more complex objects. Please could you tell me a solution?

Thanks.

I read a Nvidia paper about alternative methods and their speeds on GeForce, but I can't find it. Tried to look for it on Nvidia site without success but I'm pretty sure it can be found there somewhere. http://www.nvidia.com/developer/

Junior Member Newbie

Originally posted by Marc:
    How do you avoid a z-buffer-fight in the second pass? I tried to put a texture onto a sphere and in a second pass a kind of reflection with blending (I do not want to do multitexturing!). But sometimes the second Texture is in front, sometimes the first one, which looks more then ugly. I helped myself by scaling the second sphere a little bit larger but this will not work with more complex objects. Please could you tell me a solution?
    If the spheres are the exactly same for both passes you should use glDepthFunc(GL_EQUAL) for the second pass.
    But using this approach, I have problems with some (not all) NVidia drivers for my TNT card:
    If I enable lighting for only one pass and disable it for the other, there are z-buffer artefacts! If the lighting conditions are equal (on or off) for both cases, everything is okay!

Kosta

For both passes lighting is disabled; glDepthFunc(GL_EQUAL) doesn't work (I think I have tried out every possible combination for glDepthFunc for the first and the second pass); and I'm using the nVidia Detonator 3.68-driver on a Viper 550-board (TNT) on Win NT 4.0.
    How does that thing with polygon offset work? Could it be a solution?

Have you tried GL_LESS for the first and GL_LEQUAL for the second?

Yes, but it doesn't fix the problem, it only gets a little less bad
    By the way the sphere is put into a displaylist and called twice with different textures and the second time with blending enabled, so the vertex-coordinates are absolutly the same.

Junior Member Newbie

Originally posted by Marc:
    By the way the sphere is put into a displaylist and called twice with different textures and the second time with blending enabled, so the vertex-coordinates are absolutly the same.
    Can you post the code? So we can all search for a bug.

Have you tried to turn on lighting calculations for both passes?

Kosta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast