Implemtations available

Are there any optimized software implementations available that run on PocketPC? If so, where, and which are best?

klimt is the best choice
search klimt on sourceforge.net

[ February 15, 2004: Message edited by: Hotnet ]

Thanks, but I should have been more specific. We have a closed-source scene graph that we would like to put on top of it, so GPL doesn’t work for us.

So we need something LGPL, BSD, commercial, or something similar.

Klimt has a Professional Edition license,you can contact IMS.

Klimt is not complete OGL-ES implementation, you had better check before you decide

You can also try Vincent. It started out of a discussion with Daniel on how to clean up the klimt architecture and how to make it independent of PocketKnife. Comes with a BSD license.

• Martin

yes, klimt is not a complete OGL-ES implementation. if you need full compliance (whatever you’d need that for), you should get a licensed version.

an advantage of klimt is that it implements more than just a part of OGL-ES. large OpenGL compliant toolkits, such as Coin or AMIRE run fine on top of it…

bye,
Daniel

Hi
OpenGL ES support more than Klimt
but how to write a simple appalication use OpenGL ES for PocketPC, Smartphone…
I have download the implementations of OpenGL ES – gles-1.0c.gz on this Website , but I am sorry that After I unpacked it I don’t know how way to use it . Could anyone can help me ?

How to fix it
help me please!

The reference implementation you downloaded is just a wrapper around a full OpenGL implementation. It’s mostly for experimenting, but is not really useful on a mobile device. If you want to spend money, I’d choose Hybrid’s implementation, otherwise try one of the two OSS projects mentioned above. I guess you can contact either Daniel (for Klimt) or myself (for Vincent) if you have problems getting started.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

To my knowledge there are currently only three public OpenGL|ES implementations (not counting the reference-wrapper):

• Hybrid’s implementation which is a high-speed, high-quality but commerical implementation and at the moment the only one that has full and official spec conformance.

• Vincent (OGLES) which is open source under a very open license. It uses run-time code generation (as also Hybrid’s implementation does) and is therefore well prepared for upcoming pixel shaders. Unfortunately this means that it only runs on ARM processors.

• Klimt which is open source under the GPL license. It is fully written in C++ and therefore very portable. Currently implementations exist for Windows, WindowsCE, PocketPC, Smartphone, Linux on Desktop, Linux on iPAQ, Linux on Sharp Zaurus. Upcoming platforms are SymbianOS and PalmOS. Additionally to the other two implementations is can also run (many) OpenGL applications or libraries. hint,hint

As Hans-Martin already wrote: contact us if you are interested or need help…

bye,
Daniel

Just a small clarification on the last post concerning Vincent:

• The current distribution actually requires an XScale processor (because it uses Intel GPP library). A patch for supporting ARM in general is checked in, but not part of the DLLs that are available for download (i.e. you would have to compile the source).

• Vincent DOES of course run on non-ARM processors (e.g. in the Pocket PC or Smartphone emulator, or compiled from VS.NET for XP) because this is essential for debugging. It does so, however, only in “interpreted” mode, i.e. with a much lower performance. That means that on a Pentium 4 1.7 GHz you achieve framerates that are only slighly higher than on a PDA. For “production use”, as Daniel pointed out, Vincent only supports ARM-based systems. Windows Mobile (Smartphone, Pocket PC), Symbian Phones, and recent Palm OS based devices are all using ARM (heck, these folks have an outstanding market penetration).

Good luck with your efforts,
Hans-Martin

[ April 16, 2004: Message edited by: Hans-Martin Will ]

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.