32 bit colors with ATI

I have rendered 32 bit colors with a geforce ti4200, but when I use the same code on a radeon 9600 pro I get 16 bit only.

I have tested the following on the radeon card:
-glGetIntegerv(GL_RED_BITS,&foo);
returns foo==8
-pure GL_LIGTING without texture results in 16 bit on the screen.
-pure texture without lighting results in 16 bit on the screen.

Any ideas how I can render 32 bit colors with the radeon card?
(I guess there is a rendering mode which has different default values on the two cards)

How do you set the pixel format and are you using fullscreen or windowed mode? Do you switch displaymode if the desktop bpp is less than 32?

I use fullscreen mode and I force the bpp to be 32 (I use 32 bpp for my desktop for radeon and geforce).

Here is the source code I use to set the pixelformat (I call ChangeDisplaySettings before I set the pixelformat):

static PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd={
sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR),
PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW |
PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL |
PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER,
PFD_TYPE_RGBA,
bits,
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0,0,0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
16, // 16Bit Z-Buffer (Depth Buffer)
PFD_MAIN_PLANE,
0, 0, 0
};

if (!(PixelFormat=ChoosePixelFormat(hDC,&pfd))){
KillGLWindow(hWnd);
MessageBox(NULL,“Can’t Find A Suitable PixelFormat.”,“ERROR”,MB_OK|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION);
return FALSE;
}

if(!SetPixelFormat(hDC,PixelFormat,&pfd)){
KillGLWindow(hWnd); MessageBox(NULL,“Can’t Set The PixelFormat.”,“ERROR”,MB_OK|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION);
return FALSE; }

Originally posted by Thomas Krog:
returns foo==8

That can’t be a 16 bpp mode then.

-pure GL_LIGTING without texture results in 16 bit on the screen.
-pure texture without lighting results in 16 bit on the screen.
How? What makes you think it’s 16 bpp?
Regarding textures, did you request explicitly sized formats (ie GL_RGB8 instead of GL_RGB)?

not 100% sure but if you request a 16-bit z-buffer you also get 16-bit colour (depending on parameter weighting within ChoosePixelFormat() it may override your rgba value).

btw, why not always request a 32-bit z-buffer anyway? you’ll always get the best supported z-buffer bit depth… extra bandwidth requirements are more than worth it imo + current h/w is geared for 32-bit colour and 32-bit z-buffer anyhow (actually, more like 24-bit z + 8-bit stencil)

Originally posted by zeckensack:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Thomas Krog:
returns foo==8

That can’t be a 16 bpp mode then.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry I was inexact - what I meant was that I rendered 16 bpp to a 32 bpp framebuffer.

How? What makes you think it’s 16 bpp?

It was a guess based on the lack of colors on the screen.

Regarding textures, did you request explicitly sized formats (ie GL_RGB8 instead of GL_RGB)?[/b]

Thanks a lot that caused the texture problem.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem with the pure lighting using basic materials as shown below:

GLfloat specular = {0.2f,0.2f,0.2f,1.0f};
GLfloat diffuse = {0.15f,0.25f,0.4f,1.0f};
GLfloat ambient = {0.1f,0.1f,0.25f,1.0f};
glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT,GL_SPECULAR,specular);
glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT,GL_DIFFUSE,diffuse);
glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT,GL_AMBIENT,ambient);
glMaterialf(GL_FRONT,GL_SHININESS,500.0f);

Originally posted by mattc:
not 100% sure but if you request a 16-bit z-buffer you also get 16-bit colour (depending on parameter weighting within ChoosePixelFormat() it may override your rgba value).

A good guess but it did not solve the problem.

btw, why not always request a 32-bit z-buffer anyway? you’ll always get the best supported z-buffer bit depth… extra bandwidth requirements are more than worth it imo + current h/w is geared for 32-bit colour and 32-bit z-buffer anyhow (actually, more like 24-bit z + 8-bit stencil)

Yes it might be a good idea to switch to 32 bit z-buffer - I just do not need the extra precision for my current project.

I found the problem with the lighting. It was the shininess value which was greater than 128 thus I got a different behavior on the two graphic cards.