The Best 3D Model Format For OpenGL ES

Hello! I had try to implement a MD2 loader for the OpenGL ES (in pocket pc and symbian). When I just render a keyframe of the 3D model the fps is OK for me. However, when I changed it to an animation. The fps is very low … I guess it is because the interpolation calculate each vertex position between each frame, therefore the fps become lower when the 3D model is animated.

So, I would like to know any other 3D Model Format can have better fps when it is doing an animation? Thank you.

Evening

I don’t believe any model format is any more “optimized” for rendering; really, once you’ve loaded the data from the file, it’s all the same. The only exception being if a file format is pre-processed into sets of triangle strips or fans.

• ben

Hi,
sorry to bring back an old topic…

How did you go about writing the loader for your 3d file? I am trying to use a simple 3d model in my game, and at the moment I am using same sample code from Nokia which is in a .h file, and if I wanted to replicate it with my own model I would need to hand edit all the vertices, faces and normals, which would probably drive me insane!

So basically I am asking if it is possible to write a file loader for the .obj file format and how I would go about doing that.

Thanks,
Miranda

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=“1” face=“Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><HR>So basically I am asking if it is possible to write a file loader for the .obj file format and how I would go about doing that.

Thanks,
Miranda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check these links for some info on parsing obj files :

Link 1 : Forum discussion on Obj loading

Link 2 : Source Code link based on above discussion

Hope this helps,

K-

Hi,
thanks for those links, but I’ve done .obj file loading in “normal” C++ and OpenGL before, I’m just not sure how to do it with Symbian and OpenGL ES. For example, what do I use instead of ifstream? And how does it work with glDrawElements?
Thanks,
Miranda

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.