How is the Nokia's implementation of OpenGL ES

Nokia’s Series 60 2nd Eidition SDK for Symbian OS Feature Pack 2 has an implementation of OpenGL ES, according to their announcement.

Does someone has some comments on that? Is it as good as Hybrid’s?

Hans-Martin, can you give us your opinion?

Thanx
Arnold

You meant to ask, Ville, right? :wink:

I honestly do not know how the version in the Nokia SDK relates to current builds of Gerbera.

• HM

I dont know the Nokia’s implementation has anything realted to Hyrid’s either.

According to the previous post here, Hyrid’s implementation is good but will cost 2000$ for each licence.

I just want to know the Nokia’s implementation is good enough that I can develop some OpenGL ES application on it.

Hans-Martin Will, I know you are the author of the Vincent Project @sourceforge, so I am thinking maybe you have some valuable advice for me. Thanx a lot.

BTW: It is the first time I post here, any advice will be helpful. Thanx everybody.

Arnold

Hi Arnold,

I’d like to make a couple of comments to your post in order to clarify what we’re offering to developers.

Hybrid’s main line of business is to provide OpenGL ES 1.0/1.1 (and related APIs, such as JSR-184, JSR-239, OpenVG) implementations to device manufacturers. On all of these platforms, the platform vendor licenses the APIs from us, and developers (of a particular phone/device) can then develop applications free of charge, with no royalties. The common nominator of these devices is that OpenGL ES cannot be efficiently provided as a part of the application, i.e., it must be a part of the system software.

On some “open” platforms, we’re able to provide OpenGL ES as a library that developers can link to their applications. Some of these devices have ES already provided by the platform vendor (as in the case of Nokia’s Series 60 SDK), some don’t.

As mentioned in our license, developers can use our ES on these platforms, free of charge, as long as they don’t link our ES into a commercially sold product. This essentially covers all cases of hobbyist, demo scene or academic use, as well as the development of a commercial title (you only have to pay once you actually ship something).

The commercial license cost is $2K, and covers all platforms we happen to support.
It is essentially non-profit for us: the cost is, if you think of it, really minimal, and it just covers our legal/tech support/maintenance/release process costs associated with the development program. New platforms are being added constantly (for example PalmOS 5.x coming in late October). We’re also adding the other APIs into this offering in the future.

cheers,
-wili

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.