Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no far clipping in fullscreen mode.

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

no far clipping in fullscreen mode.

I have this really weird problem. I thought it was initially Z buffer related, but I am using the describepixelformat routine, and stepping through my code, does indeed yield a 24 bit frame buffer.

(As a matter of fact, I can't seem to get a 16 bit zbuffer. Even when I request 16 bit color, 16 bit zbuffer, and 0 stencil in 16 bit desktop too. DescribePixelFormat always resets it back to 24 bit Z.)

In windowed mode, everything is fine, but in fullscreen mode, 16bit of 32 bit, moving the object past it's far clipping plane, doesn't seem to clip it totally. Only once every second or so. Basically the object does not disapear past the far clip plane in fullscreen mode, but instead only intermittantly gets clipped.

This definitly seems to be a clip plane thing, and not a Z buffer thing.

I have a demo if anyone wants to try it.

I am using an a Geforce 3, with 23.11 drivers.

-Nutty

[This message has been edited by Nutty (edited 12-30-2001).]

Re: no far clipping in fullscreen mode.

I am happy to try your demo !
    Can you send it to me ?

Regards.

Eric

Will do.

daveperman reckons it's a driver bug. Though I wouldn't thought something that obvious wouldn't have slipped through in the latest offical release.

Nutty

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Why don't you send me the app?

It does you absolutely no good to talk about driver bugs behind my back. If you don't send me test apps, the bugs will *never* get fixed.

- Matt

Sorry Matt, I'll send you a program as soon as I re-install a load of stuff, and am able to build it.

Got infected with a virus, and all me .exe files got deleted..

Originally posted by mcraighead:
    It does you absolutely no good to talk about driver bugs behind my back.
    Matt,

Remember this app I sent you 1 to 2 years ago regarding a "lighting problem" in my 3D viewer on GeForce DDR (I guess not !) ?

It turned out that the fault was actually in my program and not in your drivers. Can't remember if you had started looking into the problem when I solved it but it doesn't matter.

My point is that I think posting such messages here before sending them to you actually saves your time !

OK, it makes everybody aware that your drivers have bug but any developer knows that apps are typically not bug-free. Your drivers are apps !

There's no conspiracy here: we simply want to check whether the bug is ours or yours before bugging you with test apps !

You sound a bit stressed these days... Keep !

Regards.

Eric

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Yes, I get stressed about these things, but you have to remember that perhaps the _main_ reason that I frequent this board is to get bugs fixed, and secondarily to explain certain aspects of how either OpenGL or our extensions or driver or hardware work.

In general, I consider any flaw in our products to reflect poorly on me (whether or not I was involved with that particular thing), and I consider any attack on our products to be tantamount to an attack on me. I have very high standards when it comes to engineering, and I am unhappy when anyone in our company fails to live up to them. The last thing that I want is for some bug to remain unfixed for an additional driver release even though someone _did_ discover it.

- Matt

Junior Member Newbie

when I first installed xp, I had to rely on the nvidia drivers it came with (no hardware GL) because of that god awefully annoying infitie loop 'bug' that I still get. BUT, it was software gl, and when in wireframe, you could see the triangles clipped to the far clip plane (as the edge created was a line) - yet when using official drivers, in hardware gl, there is no line there anymore.....
    I noticed this in both windowed and fullscreen.
    or am I just being ignorant and this is just driver optimization or something?

Senior Member Regular Contributor

mcraighead,

when will we see a refresh rate selector in NVIDIA drivers for Win2K/XP, to fix this monstruous 60Hz D3D/OGL thing and get rid of 3rd party tweakers?

Anyway I've never discovered any OpenGL bugs in NVIDIA drivers with my apps. I have to say I'm more than pleased!
    I can't tell the same with the drivers of another well known company.

My only complain would be the lack of details when newer drivers are released. It would be nice to know what particular OpenGL routines have been optimized, enhanced or fixed. Although NVIDIA papers on OpenGL and OpenGL's performances are a nice help, they're not always enough.

Man, this has gone a little OT :P

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

That particular issue is an application bug, as far as I know, so it is unlikely that we are going to do anything about it.

I don't think we're ever going to provide lists of changes. Too hard to make a meaningful list, and even if we did, it would not necessarily be in our interest to release it.

- Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast