Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's faster : 1 quad or 2 triangles ???

Senior Member Regular Contributor

What's faster : 1 quad or 2 triangles ???

Hi !

On geforce 2&3 boards, suppose I've got 4 vertices A, B, C, D, lying on the same plane. What's faster to render : the quad ABCD or the two triangles ABC and ACD ? And is the same true about quad strips and triangle strips ?

Thanks in advance !
    Morglum

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Re: What's faster : 1 quad or 2 triangles ???

it depends.

anyway, if you do the same way for triangle and quad, quad would be better i think.

but it exists strip and fan which are special ways to avoid redundant vertices.
    So drawing strip/fan triangles would be better than drawing simple quad... you can do strip for quad.
    Your quads must be convexe quads.
    Triangles are most used than quads (which grow up then).

So, do strip with quad would be same way as doing strip with triangles.
    Care, too, of the number of vertices. If your quads models's got more vertices, it may be less powerful.

Thanks jide ! I'm writing an ASE loader and all quads are converted into triangles in the ASE file. So I wondered whether it would be worth writing some code to detect when two tris are part of one convex quad, and then convert these two tris into one quad.

also bear in mind that by treating all poly's as triangles you can draw all of them in one go (say vertex arrays) without having to deal with seperate polygon types which will save you a lot of time....

Yes, it's true, but I planned to split my original vertex array into strips and fans. So I would have many vertex arrays anyway. I hope to improve rendering speed by this, but I might be mistaken... what do you think ?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

from Rob The Bloke:
    also bear in mind that by treating all poly's as triangles you can draw all of them in one go (say vertex arrays) without having to deal with seperate polygon types which will save you a lot of time....

i think sometime, quads must be converted into triangles. But you can do as well vertex arrays with triangles, or quads by using glDraw*(); The first parameter is the parameter you give generally to glBegin();

As far, i got an Ase loader (i've taken it from an existed program), and i failed on loading all the objects. It only load the bigger object and the last (so i have strange things). I think it's due to that i didn't separate the different objects. That make me tired to think again about it. So, i may use another opened, free ASE loader (when i'll find it).

I can give you mine, if you don't find anything better, although it's not finished and it handles memory very unefficiently.

Morglum

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Hi !

I think most OpenGL implementation breaks down the quad to two triangles anyway in the end so you would not gain much from it compared to a two triangle strip for example.

Compared to GL_TRIANGLES you would have two less vertices to send down the pipeline which might be worth the trouble.

Mikael

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

morglum,
    let's see, why not !

mickael, that's may be possible. Most of graphic cards only do triangles that are most sure to draw than quads which maybe difficult to delimitate, and fill. Then, that's what i think !

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

I already pointed this out in another thread not so long ago, but I'll repeat it here: I would advise against using quads.

Even if sending a quad is faster than sending two triangles (which I'll believe when I see it), you can get a similar effect by using triangle strips.

By sticking with triangles, you also avoid a lot of potential problems down the road. You may encounter models with concave quads in them, for example, or you may get Z-fighting when doing multipass because the quad's triangulation changes for some reason.

-- Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast