3D hardware acceleration on phones?

Hello,

I am just starting a 3D project for Brew mobile phones (mainly LG vx8000).

I am interested in using OpenGL ES (already used OpenGL on a PC…) but there are a few things not clear about it :

_ Is there any phone on the market that proposes a “REAL” 3D hardware acceleration (a GPU i mean …) ? For example on Nokia Ngage or Series60 phones, there is no hardware accel …

_ If no, does that mean that OpenGL ES is “just” a 3D “software” rendering toolkit ?
(and that all its features can be recoded in Brew …)

_ If yes, where can I get a list of those hardware accelerated phones ? And what are the accelerated features available (Zbuffer, perspective correction, alpha, bilinear …) ?

Yes, there are hardware implementations availale. I am not sure though, which of them are already available in consumer end-devices in Europe. [Or to what extend drivers are avialable, i.e. the new Dell Axim Pocket PC has a 2700G accelerator, but the OpenGL ES driver still seems to be under development]. So you might need to get an early access/development kit from a GPU vendor.

The OpenGL ES specification (download from this side) lists the required features of an implementation.

Hope that helps,
HM

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.