Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about light

Junior Member Newbie

A question about light

Hi, I have a question about light.

The number of lights used simultaneously in opengl is limited. But how can I use unlimited light source in application such as a game?

The idea I can image is to calculate the light myself and blend it to the material, but I am not very sure the practical method used in today's game.

I have hear something like lightmaps. I want to know more stuff about lights. Any net address or Direction?

Thanks.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Re: A question about light

To get more than 8 opengl lights all you have to do is just reuse them. Lightmaps dont use opengl's lighting code at all. Its just an extra texture that is modulated on top of your base textures to give the illusion of a light being there.

-SirKnight
    -SirKnight

Junior Member Newbie

Thank you, SirKnight.

But as your answer, what I want to know is no other than how to calculate this "extra texture" colors and other parameters, so I can completely unlimited light sources numbers in a scene.

Senior Member Regular Contributor

Clusterisation is the only way to go!
    as SirKnight said, u must reuse the lights!!
    All that means that your scene must be subdivided in some parts/blocks and then u can get 8 lights available for a portion of the scene.. thus, this makes 'virtually' unlimited lights for your scene.. In fact, most of the time (in a cluster) 2,3 lights are enough.. Of course u can use more lights than this but it will certanly slow down your rendering!! )
    As a conclusion, 8 lights are definitely enough and it was a good choice to do so in the OpenGL implementation bcoz you're forced to find out the best case and then *only* encapsulate the vertice which should be lighted by a defined light.

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru imported_dorbie's Avatar

Here's source code and an explanation of this:
    http://www.opengl.org/developers/cod...zedLights.html

Junior Member Newbie

Thank you, dorbie.That's what I am trying to find.

Also, thank you Ozzy and SirKnight, but I think eight lights is far less enough to render a "really realistic scene".|-)

Regards,
    Zw

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

If you really want more than 8 dynamic lights on a surface at once, you can use multiple passes. You can do eight lights per pass -- you add all the lighting passes together first, and modulate with the textures afterwards.

It adds up to one pass per eight lights, plus one for the textures. Specular lighting further complicates the matter, but it's still pretty easy to do.

-- Tom

Junior Member Newbie

Hi, Tom Nuydens

Let me try catch on your idea. Do you mean to accumulate the lights effect and modulate it with the textures at one time. And again and again to repeat it on the each new material color until numbers of lights I want reach?

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru imported_dorbie's Avatar

He means a first pass which draws 8, then subsequent passes, each of which can add another 8 lights and they are accumulated in the framebuffer with a glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE).

Junior Member Newbie

Zw, maybe you did not fully understand that 8 lights is the max for a single poly in your scene. That means 8 lights simultaneously, so you have to know which poly is lit by which light.

Suppose you have a ground split into 4 meshes, and each part is only lit by 7 different lights (that's 28 lights), then when rendering the first part, you only need to activate the corresponding lights. When rendering the 2nd part, you'll reuse the old lights and reassign some new values to make them correct for your 2nd ground mesh. And so on ...

Hope this helps a bit, Lolo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast