Changing Resolution

Hi,
I have an option to allow the user to define the required resolution (height, width) and use the API ChangeDisplaySettings. Now that all works fine … but the monitor sometimes ends up with a black screen. At first I believed it to be a problem associated with our code but it’s to do with the monitor. I’ve found that turning the monitor on/off restores the video display. Now this must be a problem associated with the monitor’s synchronization.

It more often than not occurs on a change from a high to low resolution and I’ve confirmed that this problem is exhibited by a range of different monitors.

This problem must have been seen before and I’d guess there’s a solution ? … (No matter what we do, we can’t provoke the same problem when using control panel settings utility)

Andrew

Originally posted by Andrew Jameson:
[b]…
It more often than not occurs on a change from a high to low resolution and I’ve confirmed that this problem is exhibited by a range of different monitors.

This problem must have been seen before and I’d guess there’s a solution ? … (No matter what we do, we can’t provoke the same problem when using control panel settings utility)

Andrew[/b]

So you’re using win32 API. So do I but I never encountered this problem on a VERY OLD monitor (10+ years) and a newest one (2-3 years). Does the problem occurs when switching from low to high res?
I would put my idea on controlling the refresh rates more strictly but I also know this does not make too much sense…