Linux development environment?

hi,

can OpenGL ES apps be developed on Linux?

i assume they can on Windows… then, are there some special drivers that would emulate display or you use ‘normal’ OpenGL drivers for windows and expect it to work the same on actual hardware?

any easy link with hardware that has full hw accel?

what Operating Systems run those devices?
any Unix/Linux like?
who makes drivers?

are drivers good?

how ‘accelerated’ is hw acceleration on those devices,
can they manage, say Quake 1 engine? (maybe without textures)

i quite like the idea of small footprint OpenGL and even if its only a subset id like to use it for full desktop apps. …is it possible to make any use of this OpenGL ES on Linux with some driver, emulator maybe… whatever?

im after really, really small OpenGL/Linux system and wish i could make some use of this ogl ES, my project is here:
http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html

Linux based OpenGL development system without X
Live CD myOS-1_0_3.iso - 12.8Mb (2007-03-24)

this fits on 1.44mb without development components, so i guess it can qualify as embedded system, hope you’ll find it interesting…

does anyone know if this linux could be installed on some of the embedded devices or, if not, what needs to be changed?

i’ve found people talking of “embedded linux” is that any particular distro?

thanks

You can use the PowerVR OpenGL ES PC Emulation SDK from Imagination Technologies. It is available for both Windows and Linux. Download here.

This is a wrapper around desktop OpenGL, so it’s neither pixel perfect simulation of a particular OpenGL ES graphics core nor does it provide emulation of an embedded system.

any easy link with hardware that has full hw accel?

what Operating Systems run those devices?
any Unix/Linux like?

The list of devices with OpenGL ES hardware acceleration is quite long already, unfortunately most of these are closed platforms where you can’t install new applications (except Java MIDlets).

The few open PDA/smartphone devices I know of that give you native access to hardware accelerated OpenGL ES are:

• Dell Axim x50v and x51v (Windows Mobile PocketPC)
  • Nokia N93, N93i, N95, E90 (Symbian Series 60 3rd Edition)
  • SonyEricsson M600, P990, W950 (Symbian UIQ3)
    All of these feature a PowerVR MBX or MBX Lite graphics core.

The Nokia N800 internet tablet contains the same hardware as the Nokia phones mentioned above, but uses Linux instead of Symbian OS. It does not come with OpenGL ES drivers, though there is a small chance these drivers might become available.

who makes drivers?

are drivers good?

how ‘accelerated’ is hw acceleration on those devices,
can they manage, say Quake 1 engine? (maybe without textures)

Drivers are usually made by the company that developed the graphics core, e.g. Imagination Technologies, AMD, NVidia, etc.
There are software implementations of OpenGL ES 1.1 as well, including Vincent and Hybrid’s Rasteroid.

Some OpenGL ES graphics cores only handle the rasterization part and leave geometry processing (T&L) to the CPU. Others provide hardware T&L or even vertex shaders (PowerVR MBX with VGP, for example). There is a huge performance span, with the more capable systems being able to handle Quake 3 level graphics at playable framerates in VGA resolution (640x480) and above.

i quite like the idea of small footprint OpenGL and even if its only a subset id like to use it for full desktop apps. …is it possible to make any use of this OpenGL ES on Linux with some driver, emulator maybe… whatever?

im after really, really small OpenGL/Linux system and wish i could make some use of this ogl ES, my project is here:
http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html

There is no indication that AMD, Intel or NVidia are going to provide real desktop OpenGL ES drivers, while an emulator/wrapper is going to make your project both larger and slower. So there’s really no point in using OpenGL ES when you’re targeting desktop systems.

does anyone know if this linux could be installed on some of the embedded devices or, if not, what needs to be changed?

i’ve found people talking of “embedded linux” is that any particular distro?

The vast majority of embedded devices are based on an ARM CPU core so you won’t get very far with x86 binaries there. I am no Linux expert, but you’d certainly need a lot of drivers for system components as well. After all, “embedded devices” are not as standardized as the PC platform.

For an embedded Linux, have a look at MontaVista Linux.

thanks!

i have a file .c, how i can compiling it?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.