Question regarding OpenGL ES

Hi, i am new to OpenGL ES. Can i run simple opengl examples on opengl es without any modification? If a hardware offers opengl es acceleration but a driver isnt available, then does that mean that i have to get acceleration through dri/drm like in the case of opengl? Can i use existing components like GLX with OpenG ES without any modification?
Any suggestions, pointers would be useful. Thanks in advannce.

The initialization code will have to be different (using EGL). Some examples may work, but usually the simple ones use immediate mode (glBegin/glEnd) which does not exist in OpenGL ES.

If a hardware offers opengl es acceleration but a driver isnt available, then does that mean that i have to get acceleration through dri/drm like in the case of opengl?

That likely means you won’t get acceleration at all.

Can i use existing components like GLX with OpenG ES without any modification?

No, OpenGL ES is different from OpenGL in a number of ways. Usually the modifications required are small, but some features might not be supported.

Thanks Xmas for your reply. So if i want to use hardware acceleration that my hardware offers, then i must make use of the driver that hardware vendor offers and i need to have an EGL implementation for my window system. To be more specific, the Omap 2430 has opengl es h/w acceleration. The libgles for this h/w is provided by imagintaion tech. So i need to have an EGL implementation specific to my window system. And writing an EGL implementation shouldnt be a problem (even if the opengl implementation is not open to me). Am i correct in assuming this ?
Thanks in advance.

No, EGL and client APIs (OpenGL ES, OpenVG) have to work together. You won’t be able to make the OpenGL ES driver work with your own EGL implementation without access to the driver source.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.