PowerVR 3D Studio 9 and Maya 8 exporter problem

Hi everyone!
I’m not sure if this is the best place to answer this…
I’m working with OpenGL| ES PowerVR implementation, and with their SDK and utilities. The point is that I’m having troubles exporting my models from 3D Studio and Maya: The geometries are exported well, but not the textures.
In 3D Studio, when I make a geometry with different textures on each side, then the textures are not exported. But surprisingly, when I export a cube with only one texture asociated to it, it exports O.K.
In the case of Maya, when I use ANY texture the model appears without texturing…

Anybody knows anything about this?

Thanks a lot in advance,
che1404

Is PowerVR SDK supporting COLLADA ?

If yes, there are many tools/viewers to check if the data has been exported correctly. Given the really high quality of the COLLADA exporters, that is most probably not the problem.

If PowerVR SDK does not support COLLADA, then they should consider it seriously !

Regards
– Remi

The best place would be to email devrel@powervr.com.

Do you mean that you have a mesh where some triangles use one material, and other triangles use another material? To render this, and to store it in POD format, the mesh would have to be split into multiple meshes, one for each material in use. Instead the exporter simply uses the first material found for all triangles. This way the artist cannot unknowingly create objects that must be split into multiple submissions, which would be bad for performance.

This is a known bug that will be fixed in the next release. in the meantime you could try assigning your textures to the “Diffuse” material parameter instead of the “Color” parameter.

Aaron.

Yes, the SDKs currently on the website contain a COLLADA to POD conversion tool.

Aaron.

The best place would be to email devrel@powervr.com.

Yeap, I sent a couple of mails, but I received no answer…

Do you mean that you have a mesh where some triangles use one material, and other triangles use another material?

Yes I do.

To render this, and to store it in POD format, the mesh would have to be split into multiple meshes, one for each material in use. Instead the exporter simply uses the first material found for all triangles. This way the artist cannot unknowingly create objects that must be split into multiple submissions, which would be bad for performance.

O.K. Can I split a mesh into a number of submeshes in 3D Studio so that the exporter works the same way as I want? I tried, but I didn’t get anything…

This is a known bug that will be fixed in the next release. in the meantime you could try assigning your textures to the “Diffuse” material parameter instead of the “Color” parameter

Great. Thanks.

Yes, that will work. For example use edit mesh to split the object into multiple smaller objects so that each object uses a single material.

Aaron.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.