Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: newbie to OpenGL

  1. #1
    Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Ankara / TURKEY
    Posts
    1

    newbie to OpenGL

    Hi

    I have GeForce DDR, and I installed latest nVidia drivers to Mandrake 7.2 and I want to some OpenGL coding

    After install I reboot my pc and I started X-Window,yes X works, (I changed nv with nvidia, in the XF86Config-4 file)

    I checked the /var/log directory for X messages, no warnings and errors

    does my Linux run OpenGL with GeForce, I don't know
    so how can I do some OpenGL tests under X-Window without coding

    Regards
    BigTrouble

  2. #2
    Senior Member Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    417

    Re: newbie to OpenGL

    Mandrake 7.2 installs some GL demos. Try "gears" or "reflect" at the command line.

    If you installed all the games, try "tuxracer" (it's fun! )

    Originally posted by BigTrouble:
    does my Linux run OpenGL with GeForce, I don't know
    so how can I do some OpenGL tests under X-Window without coding

  3. #3
    Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    40

    Re: newbie to OpenGL

    Originally posted by BigTrouble:
    Hi

    I have GeForce DDR, and I installed latest nVidia drivers to Mandrake 7.2 and I want to some OpenGL coding

    After install I reboot my pc and I started X-Window,yes X works, (I changed nv with nvidia, in the XF86Config-4 file)

    I checked the /var/log directory for X messages, no warnings and errors

    does my Linux run OpenGL with GeForce, I don't know
    so how can I do some OpenGL tests under X-Window without coding

    Regards
    BigTrouble


    Did you install both kernel and glx.
    and added also line Load glx.

    best way to check is try tuxracer , included in mandrake if its run ok, driver is correctly installed, if its isvery slow
    driver is not installed right.

    then check that you have both gl.h and glu.h
    if you do not have them try finding then try mesa.
    after that re-install glx.
    that is the easy way.

    then go nehe.gamedev.com and find link to linux conversion to nehe tutorial.

    download tutorial 2 or 3 or some else below 10.
    some of tutorials over 10 are not working even if opengl is conficurated ok.

    then tar -zxf tut
    make
    and try
    should work.

    after that check that ldd lessonx shows
    linking to libgl.so in directory /usr/lib/
    not in /usr/X11R6/lib/

    libglu can be linket to /usr/X11R6/lib/

    if those where ok, get anjuta or some else
    IDE if you are not familiar with linux way to
    program and happy programming

  4. #4
    Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,077

    Re: newbie to OpenGL

    And anybody tell me linux is better than windows. You need good memory to keep in mind which packages you have installed, which one you need installed, where all the configuration paths are etc.
    I agree that it is good to have a stable running machine, however linux is not good for a normal pc user... It had to be said... Don't let me disturb you.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    417

    Re: newbie to OpenGL

    I'll take Shared Lib Link Problems
    over DLL Hell any day

    (At least SLLP won't bring down my machine)

    Originally posted by Michael Steinberg:
    And anybody tell me linux is better than windows. You need good memory to keep in mind which packages you have installed, which one you need installed, where all the configuration paths are etc.
    I agree that it is good to have a stable running machine, however linux is not good for a normal pc user... It had to be said... Don't let me disturb you.

  6. #6
    Guest

    Re: newbie to OpenGL

    Originally posted by Michael Steinberg:
    And anybody tell me linux is better than windows. You need good memory to keep in mind which packages you have installed, which one you need installed, where all the configuration paths are etc.
    I agree that it is good to have a stable running machine, however linux is not good for a normal pc user... It had to be said... Don't let me disturb you.
    RPM. Debian Package Manager. Even KDE Package Manager. These allow you to install and keep track of what you have installed on your system. I use RPM as an example.

    Say you wish to install the program 'Foo'; first find the file Foo-x.y.z-w.rpm if it is a binary rpm or Foo-x.y.z-w.src.rpm if it is a source RPM. Then type (as root):

    rpm -ivh Foo-x.y.z-w.rpm

    or

    rpm --rebuild Foo-x.y.z-w.src.rpm
    cd /path/to/newly/built/rpm
    rpm -ivh Foo-x.y.z-w.rpm

    To find out whether a program is installed (and which version is installed), type:

    rpm -q Foo

    You should get the output "Foo-x.y.z-w" if Foo is installed or "Package Foo is not installed" if not.

    The numbers x, y, z and w are the major, minor, bugfix and RPM build release numbers. If you have Foo-0.61.1-1 installed and find Foo-0.61.2-1.rpm, you can upgrade seamlessly using

    rpm -Uvh Foo-0.61.2-1.rpm (upgrade)

    or

    rpm -Fvh Foo-0.61.2-1.rpm (freshen)

    You might need to add the option --replacefiles or --replacepkgs if there have been modifications to configuration files or the actual programs installed have changed. To uninstall, simply run

    rpm -e Foo

    For tons more information, check out the rpm manpage (if you use an RPM-based distribution - Redhat, Mandrake, SuSE, Caldera, TurboLinux...) or type

    rpm --help

    You can also find graphical front-ends to RPM, such as the above-mentioned KDE Package Manager or GnoRPM. This beats Windows Installer any day.


    [This message has been edited by ShadowMan (edited 02-21-2001).]

    [This message has been edited by ShadowMan (edited 02-21-2001).]

Similar Threads

  1. OpenGL Newbie...help please
    By stevefoobar in forum OpenGL: User Software
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
  2. OpenGL Newbie Needs Help
    By Krak in forum OpenGL: Basic Coding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 05:20 AM
  3. [Newbie] OpenGL / g++
    By in forum OpenGL: Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2001, 04:40 PM
  4. newbie to openGL
    By in forum OpenGL: Basic Coding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2001, 12:53 PM
  5. Newbie in opengl
    By Victor in forum OpenGL: Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2001, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Proudly hosted by Digital Ocean