newbie to OpenGL

Hi

I have GeForce DDR, and I installed latest nVidia drivers to Mandrake 7.2 and I want to some OpenGL coding

After install I reboot my pc and I started X-Window,yes X works, (I changed nv with nvidia, in the XF86Config-4 file)

I checked the /var/log directory for X messages, no warnings and errors

does my Linux run OpenGL with GeForce, I don’t know
so how can I do some OpenGL tests under X-Window without coding

Regards
BigTrouble

Mandrake 7.2 installs some GL demos. Try “gears” or “reflect” at the command line.

If you installed all the games, try “tuxracer” (it’s fun! )

Originally posted by BigTrouble:

Originally posted by BigTrouble:
[b]Hi

I have GeForce DDR, and I installed latest nVidia drivers to Mandrake 7.2 and I want to some OpenGL coding

After install I reboot my pc and I started X-Window,yes X works, (I changed nv with nvidia, in the XF86Config-4 file)

I checked the /var/log directory for X messages, no warnings and errors

Regards
BigTrouble

[/b]

Did you install both kernel and glx.
and added also line Load glx.

best way to check is try tuxracer , included in mandrake if its run ok, driver is correctly installed, if its isvery slow
driver is not installed right.

then check that you have both gl.h and glu.h
if you do not have them try finding then try mesa.
after that re-install glx.
that is the easy way.

then go nehe.gamedev.com and find link to linux conversion to nehe tutorial.

download tutorial 2 or 3 or some else below 10.
some of tutorials over 10 are not working even if opengl is conficurated ok.

then tar -zxf tut
make
and try
should work.

after that check that ldd lessonx shows
linking to libgl.so in directory /usr/lib/
not in /usr/X11R6/lib/

libglu can be linket to /usr/X11R6/lib/

if those where ok, get anjuta or some else
IDE if you are not familiar with linux way to
program and happy programming

And anybody tell me linux is better than windows. You need good memory to keep in mind which packages you have installed, which one you need installed, where all the configuration paths are etc.
I agree that it is good to have a stable running machine, however linux is not good for a normal pc user… It had to be said… Don’t let me disturb you.

I’ll take Shared Lib Link Problems
over DLL Hell any day

(At least SLLP won’t bring down my machine)

Originally posted by Michael Steinberg:
And anybody tell me linux is better than windows. You need good memory to keep in mind which packages you have installed, which one you need installed, where all the configuration paths are etc.
I agree that it is good to have a stable running machine, however linux is not good for a normal pc user… It had to be said… Don’t let me disturb you.

Originally posted by Michael Steinberg:

RPM. Debian Package Manager. Even KDE Package Manager. These allow you to install and keep track of what you have installed on your system. I use RPM as an example.

Say you wish to install the program ‘Foo’; first find the file Foo-x.y.z-w.rpm if it is a binary rpm or Foo-x.y.z-w.src.rpm if it is a source RPM. Then type (as root):

rpm -ivh Foo-x.y.z-w.rpm

or

rpm --rebuild Foo-x.y.z-w.src.rpm
cd /path/to/newly/built/rpm
rpm -ivh Foo-x.y.z-w.rpm

To find out whether a program is installed (and which version is installed), type:

rpm -q Foo

You should get the output “Foo-x.y.z-w” if Foo is installed or “Package Foo is not installed” if not.

The numbers x, y, z and w are the major, minor, bugfix and RPM build release numbers. If you have Foo-0.61.1-1 installed and find Foo-0.61.2-1.rpm, you can upgrade seamlessly using

rpm -Uvh Foo-0.61.2-1.rpm (upgrade)

or

rpm -Fvh Foo-0.61.2-1.rpm (freshen)

You might need to add the option --replacefiles or --replacepkgs if there have been modifications to configuration files or the actual programs installed have changed. To uninstall, simply run

rpm -e Foo

For tons more information, check out the rpm manpage (if you use an RPM-based distribution - Redhat, Mandrake, SuSE, Caldera, TurboLinux…) or type

rpm --help

You can also find graphical front-ends to RPM, such as the above-mentioned KDE Package Manager or GnoRPM. This beats Windows Installer any day.

[This message has been edited by ShadowMan (edited 02-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ShadowMan (edited 02-21-2001).]

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.