Better card for use with openGL in Debian Linux

Well, I had a Riva TNT2 card, and after several tries, I will buy another card.
I’m thinking in Matrox G550 (Dual Head RGB). Is it real good, or is there another card, better and cheaper?

For a good opengl machine I would go with NVidia right now. ATI also makes good cards, but the dirvers are not quite there right now.

I would recomend a GForce 4200 for the low end, and a GForce 4600 on the high end.

There are some other options like 3d Labs, but the price tends to go up in that direction, and you may have to buy an OpenGL accelerated server from xigraphics.

For my next monster machine (in about a year or so) I may just buy myself a 3d Labs card so that I can play with OpenGL 2.0…

Jamie

I didn’t mention the Matrox card you were asking about:

The matrox cards are fine, and generally have the best image quality, but the performance and features of the 550 is a generation or so behind.

Many cards have duel head now, including most of the NVidia, and ATI cards.

Jamie

I’m running a Geforce3Ti 500 on RedHat8.0. The drivers nVidia puts out are great.

The same can’t be said for ATI. I have no experience with Matrox cards. But the consensus seems to be that if you’re a 2D artist that is concerned about image quality than Matrox may be the solution for you.

For games, 3D modelling, anything realtime, nVidia is your best bet.

Just stay away from MX line of cards.

I had a GeForce 2 MX card and “upgraded” to a Matrox g400. The Matrox has noticeably better 2d image quality (I’m using a 15’’ flat panel with the analog connector).

Now, with the Matrox, rather than using nVidia’s OGL implementation, I’m using DRI/Mesa.

Have a look at the status page over at http://dri.sourceforge.net/ for their list of currently supported chipsets/cards. The g550 is not listed there. (?)

Does NVIDIA drivers work for RedHat 8.0 Kernel? I tought they only worket up to RH7.3 until now.

Originally posted by OldMan:
Does NVIDIA drivers work for RedHat 8.0 Kernel? I tought they only worket up to RH7.3 until now.

They work with RedHat 8.0 and a custom kernel. I can’t say anything about the RH default kernels since I compile my kernel myself and just take the latest stable from kernel.org.
But you can just try to rebuild the src rpm
and you will know if they work for you.

The Stock RH8 kernel works fine with the newest NV drivers. Just get the NV kernel tarball and compile. I havn’t had a single crash.

One strange note though: if you update to the newest RH kernel – not the one that came with the cd, the sound stops working (at least on my laptop with an ess Maestro3).

Jamie

For the people that are confuse to buy something, I buy an ATI Radeon 8500.
As I saw in other places, it appears to be the best one (price, features and open-source).
Just a few days to receive it, and post some views.

While talking about custom kernels…

The NVIDIA binary drivers even work great using kernel 2.5
(altough you’ll have to apply some patches from the following page: http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html )

If your going to get a new card I would suggest waiting till next month the new Nvidia Geforce FX is comming out. Its the best GFX for the home user. I was talking to some linux guys in a nvidia channel and they said there pretty sure nvidia will make linux drivers for it. I would wait and see if they do before I buy it, but its worth waiting for.

Too late. I bought a Radeon 8500 and knew that the drivers in XFree 4.1 don’t work, and the DRI are too old…
I will wait some time for updates, and try a few options…
If someone knows how to setup a Radeon 8500 on Debian, please, tell me how.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.