FrameBuffer Object & Compressed Texture

Hi,

I am trying to load a dds image and place the compressed image as texture in OffScreen Buffer.

I am using FrameBuffer Objects. The problem I am facing is with attaching the compressed texture with frame buffer.

Anyone has some idea how this can be done.

I don’t think rendering to compressed textures is possible on current hardware.

I am unable to understand that if a compressed texture created from glCompressedTexImage2D can be shown on screen. Then why cannot be attached with framebuffer object. I have tested attaching this compressed texture with FrameBuffer using FrameBufferTex2D call. I have also tried using a RenderBuffer and place this texture in it (I havent been able to find any compressed format that render buffer takes).

Regards,
Soban Hameed

Originally posted by sobanhameed:
I am unable to understand that if a compressed texture created from glCompressedTexImage2D can be shown on screen. Then why cannot be attached with framebuffer object.
It is easy to decompress required texels from compressed texture and any reasonably new hw supports that.

On the other hand, rendering into compressed texture would be reasonably implementable (for speed, complexity and image quality reasons) only on tile based renderer so no current hw supports that.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.