Byte co-ordinates for specifying vertices and textures

I found that the origin (0, 0, 0) lies at the center of the screen. Points on each of the x, y and z axis take fraction values between 0 and +/-1.

To test the “byte co-ordinates extension” of opengl es, the co-ordinates should be specified in byte format. I have understood this as, each of x, y and z should be of 1 byte size.

How to map the fraction co-ordinate values to byte format?

For E.g.:

GLfloat vertices[] = { //each element of the array is a fraction 0…+/-1
0.1, 0.1, -0.6,
-0.3, -0.1, 0.0,
-0.1, -0.3, 0.0,
0.1, -0.3, 0.0,
0.3, -0.1, 0.0,
-0.1, 0.3, 0.0,
};
glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, sizeof(GLfloat) * 3, vertices);

Should each of the fraction array elements mapped to coresponding byte value?

Thank you.

No, byte coordinates correspond to the integer part of the coordinate. This means, as you seem to have understood, that if just passed through the pipeline, everything will be way too big. So, you have to somehow scale the values down. Luckily, you can do this quite easily with the modelview matrix, by applying the correct scale there.

Thank you very much kusma.

I can now give integer values for vertex co-ordinates. And also i see that the scaling factor needs to be adjusted with respect to the magnitude of the interger co-ordinate.

In continuation with the above discussion. The scaling affects texture co-ordinates also.

How to get the original texture while scaling is applyied only to vertex co-ordinates.

Scaling the modelview matrix does not affect texture coordinates. Could you describe more precisely what you mean?

Please find below an outline of the code, which takes byte array as vertex pointer. Since i am scaling it with a factor of 0.01f the primitive is rendered correctly.

GLbyte vertices[] = {-50, -50, 0,
50, -50, 0,
0, 50, 0,
};

glVertexPointer(3,GL_BYTE, sizeof(GLbyte) * 3, 0);

glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_BYTE, sizeof(GLbyte) * 5, (unsigned char*) (sizeof(GLbyte) * 3));

glScalef( 0.01f, 0.01f, 0.01f );

glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLES, 0, 3);

Whereas the texture seems to be very different, appears as if the image is shrunk heavily and repeated to fill the primitive.
So i thought the texels are also scaled by a factor of 0.01f. The “glTexCoordPointer” line of code is not changed while testing for byte co-ordinates. It worked fine with GLfloat co-ordinates and no scaling.

If you want to use bytes for texture coordinates you need to scale the texture coordinates too, using the texture matrix instead of the modelview matrix.

Yeah, sorry for missing the texture coordinate point. Xmas is absolutely right, the texture coordinates must be scaled with the texture matrix.

Thank you very much. Now i am able to get the desired output.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.