Opengl es v/s opengl

Hi All,

I am very new to opengl es as i used to program in opengl earlier.

so need answers to few of very basic opengl es related questions as follows :

1. Is opengl es just a stripped down version of corresponding opengl version (like opengl es 1.1 ~ opengl 1.5 ) or there can be more additions to this statement/distinction??

2. Are the internal function calls of opengl es similar to opengl ?

3. can i run opengl es on VS 2005 on x86 based machine by simply including EGL related files (all the libraries and egl header files)? because my p4 machine runs opengl programs if i include glut file(libs, and .h) and according to my understanding EGL is similar to opengl es as glut is to opengl? Am i right?

4. or do i need some emulator to run the code on my x86 machine?

Please help me out from these basic setup questions

Thanks in advance,
Himanshu

google is your friend :
http://www.khronos.org/developers/libra … hrough.ppt
to run ogles on x86 you need an emulator if you dont have any device embedding an ogles implementation to run your code
glutes should be similar to glut btw

yups google is there thanks

the other ques is :
2. Are the internal function calls of opengl es similar to opengl ?

What do you mean by “internal function calls”?

The APIs are similar, but OpenGL ES is not a perfect subset of the corresponding OpenGL version.
OpenGL ES 1.x is for the most part a subset of OpenGL 1.5, but it adds support for 16.16 fixed point data.
OpenGL ES 2.0 is mostly a subset of OpenGL 2.0, but completely removes fixed function vertex and fragment processing, while adding a few other things like framebuffer objects, fixed point vertex data, and shader binaries.

“internal function call” means opengl es functions used in my code which are declared in corresponding header file and defined in the .lib file are they called in same way as opengl??

one more ques :

i downloaded a sample code which uses glutes.h and corresponding libs files and compiled it in VS 2005 it compiles fine but gives linker error based on some egl functions.

so can anybody send me the link from which i can download all the .lib files and .h files which are based on same version of opengl from a single source , or mail me the .lib and corresponding header files(must contain egl libraries) because i think it’s version mismatch between my glutes and egl library files .
mail me at -
know_himanshu@yahoo.co.in

the code is compiling and executing fine when i use glut(header and lib file as glut is superset of glutes)

thanks in advance,
Himanshu

Mostly yes, but several functions don’t exist in OpenGL ES, and some only accept a subset of parameters.

i downloaded a sample code which uses glutes.h and corresponding libs files and compiled it in VS 2005 it compiles fine but gives linker error based on some egl functions.

To build and run a Win32 application using OpenGL ES you need an OpenGL ES implementation. You can find one as part of the POWERVR OpenGL ES 1.1 SDK.

Thanks xmas ur reply was really helpful.

Cheers,
himanshu

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.