Help! just starting out

im just a newbie in opengl programming… and ive downloaded some of the (begginers) tutorials and code in this website. i know that they require the GLUT Library so i downloaded them. by the way im on Windows. I’ve compiled the codes… and they compiled. but when i run them it reports dll’s missing. 1st is the glut.dll, that was easily resolved by putting the glut.dll in the same diretory as the sample program, but then there is another error… it reports that “opengl.dll” is missing? i can’t seem to resolve this. When starting out as OpenGL Programmer… what libraries or API should i download and use… so that i can get on learning it… thanks a lot.

OpenGL is installed in Windows by default unless you have an early version (Windows 95 maybe and definitely earlier versions). Check in your C:\Windows\System directory and see if you have opengl32.lib and opengl32.dll as well as glu32.lib and glu32.dll - if not go to http://www.opengl.org/documentation/implementations.html and download opengl.exe (a self extracting archive containing the libs and dlls) from the linked site.

Originally posted by shinpaughp:
OpenGL is installed in Windows by default unless you have an early version (Windows 95 maybe and definitely earlier versions). Check in your C:\Windows\System directory and see if you have opengl32.lib and opengl32.dll as well as glu32.lib and glu32.dll - if not go to http://www.opengl.org/documentation/implementations.html and download opengl.exe (a self extracting archive containing the libs and dlls) from the linked site.
Is that the system or system32 folder?

It might be either actually. Different versions have different file/directory structures.

In 2000 Pro and XP Pro it is in System folder. You might want to take a look at your PATH environment variable accessible through Control Panel\System\Advanced\Environment Variables and see which locations are set for the system to look for .exe and .dll binary files. Do NOT modify this setting unless you know what you are doing and definitely do NOT delete any environment variables or their values. Doing so could render your system useless.

It is opengl32.dll, NOT opengl.dll…

opengl.dll belongs to an outdated implementation, you should link your application to opengl32.lib, not opengl.lib.

well you see… its the files that ive downloaded from opengl.org (i think it’s the advanced opengl prog examples)… they’re already in executable format. when i try to run them they look for those files ive mentioned. maybe i need to recompile them? is that it? thanks for all your help by the way.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.