Some newbie questions about OpenCL

So I’m street level computer user with an ATI Radeon 4870 X2 running with Vista64

I’d love to add 4 sticks of RAM and another ATI Radeon 4870 X2, and set up Open CL and have my second GPU running as 1600 cores for some spectacular parallel processing with mind bending multithreading when running Maya 2009, Mudbox, Zbrush or Modo 401 or Houdini 10.

Is Open CL so advanced that it’s only in the experimental stage right now, accessible only to a small cadre of C++ programmers, or is there any chance a user like me can tap in on it’s amazing potential yet? n

Is there any straightforward installation method where I can just get up and running on it?

Thanks for tolerating a question from the first of the power hungry mobs of ordinary users to come.

Is Open CL so advanced that it’s only in the experimental stage right now, accessible only to a small cadre of C++ programmers, or is there any chance a user like me can tap in on it’s amazing potential yet? n

Is there any straightforward installation method where I can just get up and running on it?

The gist is that OpenCL drivers are not publicly available at this point. AMD has announced that it will release drivers during the second half of 2009 and Nvidia has released betas to a closed circle of registered developers.

Note that applications will have to be modified to take advantage of the new capabilities. Current releases of Maya, etc, do not use OpenCL - you will have to wait for a suitable update or patch.

Thanks for the info.

I was looking with amazement at 0supermaster0’s videos of Crysis being run at framerates of over 1000fps and suffering a deep lust. I’ve been watching the whole CUDA Tesla supercomputer thing for the last 6 month or sos and suffering a deep lust.

I suppose I’ll have to wait… :cry: :cry: :cry: