OpenMAX & Industry

Hi, I work with OpenMax IL and now with OpenMax AL for the implementation of video compression. As OpenMax is an open standard with a royalty-free, I want to know the impact and importance of this standard in the market, so I tried to ask the following questions so that we know the importance of this standard in the industry today:

1. How the OpenMAX standard influences the development of multimedia portability?

2. How does work the OpenMax standard with industry?

3. How does work the royalty-free license for OpenMax standard?

4. How does members openmax make money?

thank you very much for trying to respond to each of the questions.

Alexdia

Hi Alexdia,

Your questions are more of a marketing nature than technical, but I will give it a try:

1. How the OpenMAX standard influences the development of multimedia portability?

The main concern of the OpenMAX working group is just multimedia portability and interoperability, the development of the OpenMAX standards does have an effect on the market. Many companies do not disclose the internal use of standards or the benefits they gain from using a standard, and it is therefore not possible to say exactly what influences that the OpenMAX standards have had on the industry and the portability of multimedia.

It is important to note that OpenMAX addresses the portability and interoperability of multimedia components, not multimedia content.

1. How does work the OpenMax standard with industry?

The OpenMAX standards are constantly being worked on, and new versions released when the working group feels they are ready. The members of the working group are all companies with ties to multimedia in one way or another, and they may use OpenMAX internally, use it as an interface for their customers or they purchase an OpenMAX solution from other vendors. They can also choose to use an Open Source solution such as the Bellagio project.

1. How does work the royalty-free license for OpenMax standard?

The royalty-free license is described on the main Khronos web page. Please see http://www.khronos.org/adopters/ and http://www.khronos.org/faq/category/C94/ for more information.

1. How does members openmax make money?

The members of the various OpenMAX working groups make money by selling their products, which can be either software or hardware based or both. The OpenMAX standards allow them to sell products containing OpenMAX implementations and market them as being OpenMAX conformant and adding the OpenMAX logo to their marketing material, thereby adding value to their products.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Best,

Erik