glDrawPixels equivalent - how to load a saved buffer

Hi everyone,
I’m pretty new to OpenGL, and I’m making an iphone application where I need to save/load the screen contents; I’m saving with glReadPixels, and was hoping to use glDrawPixels to reload, but alas it doesn’t exist. From googling the problem it seems that I need to load the saved buffer into a texture, and then write the texture to the screen, but I’m sort of lost as to how I would do this, and I really need some sample code to wrap my head around it. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

You can use glTexSubImage2D to write the pixels back into a texture that has been previously created.

void setup()
{
    glGenTextures(1, &textureId);
    // Allocate texture memory only (pass NULL for data)
    glTexImage2D(..., NULL);
}

void copySurfaceToTexture()
{
    // Copy surface contents to 'data'
    glReadPixels(..., data);

// Upload data into our texture
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureId);
    glTexSubImage2D(..., data);
}

glReadPixels introduces a pipeline stall and is generally a slow operation, so make sure you need it.

If it’s available, eglBindTexImage is another way to render to texture (OpenGL ES 1.x + EGL 1.1), which may be more efficient.

If you are using OpenGL ES 2.0, you can use framebuffer objects to render to texture, which is a much better alternative.

I will try this if this will work with mine, too.

Anyhow, thanks and God bless,

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.