Lighting without Normals

From an online tutorial I learned how to add some simple lights to my program. Now in the tutorial he uses normals to generate the lighting on his model. I was lazy and trying to be experimental and I tried lighting without Normals.

Now the lighting doesn’t seem right, but yet it still seems to work overall. My model has a gradient of lighting from one side to the other but I can’t make out individuals faces.

I’m wondering why is this, and what will adding normals do to my model? Will it make faces easier to see?

FYI: I have a generated terrain of faces so adding normals is not a minor job, although I know the math and will implement soon) I just wanted to understand lighting a bit more.

Thanks.

you probably have a global normal for your entire model

In 3D rendering, normals describes the orientation of every points on a 3D surface. This information is necessary to determinate how incident light hits the surface and compute its radiance.

To may take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phong_shading#Phong_reflection_model

And open a good book about 3D rendering! :wink:

At least under the glBegin/glEnd paradigm, there is a notion of the “current normal”, which exists and has a value even if you never call glNormal*.

From the OpenGL 2.1 spec: “The initial current normal has coordinates (0, 0, 1).”

As I read the OpenGL 2.1 spec, glDrawArrays and the like are defined in terms of glBegin/glEnd in such a way that the “current normal” would be used for all vertices if you enabled lighting but didn’t enable the normal array.

I don’t know about the more recent GL specs.

Yes, adding normals makes the faces much more three-dimensional.

Thanks for the information I’ll update my code and reply again if I have any problems.