Tutorial

Anyone know a good tutorial to install opencl on Ubuntu with nvidia card?

If you have an opencl card, just install latest nVidia driver.
I guess you’ll have to manual install them (from nVidia drivers page) because ubuntu does’nt provide recent enough drivers.

I have the cuda drivers installed currently, but nvidia has a different driver. Can I use these drivers for opencl.

I don’t know cuda drivers :slight_smile:

But I know that last graphics drivers from nVidia provide OpenCL SDK.

I don’t use ubuntu much, although I hope that to change once I finish grad school in December.

I would imagine that your question could probably be better answered in the NVIDIA Developer Forums for OpenCL.

I would also imagine that NVIDIA/CUDA drivers for the Linux environment that have been released since early to mid 2010 would have the OpenCL capability, but don’t quote me on that.

I have explained installing the correct driver on my blog: http://www.streamcomputing.eu/blog/2010 … l-on-linux

Installing the SDK is really straightforward. Just make sure you do the instructions at the end, most notable setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Just post here in which step you encountered problems.

Hey Jamesiv1,

Your blog post was really easy he should not have any problem with it. Thanks for the info.

louis

Hard to go wrong with http://www.streamcomputing.eu/blog/2010 … l-on-linux.

Thx,
Peter

Thanks peterpeters for the straight forward response, I’m brand new here and think I can learn a lot. Thanks again Carly

When doing a make of the CUDA/OpenCL SDK, you not only needs ‘build-essential’, but also:
mesa-common-dev
libx11-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev
libglu1-mesa-dev
libglut3-dev
libxmu-dev

For shell-users:
> sudo apt-get install build-essential mesa-common-dev libx11-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libglut3-dev libxmu-dev

Know that NVIDIA only has OpenCL 1.0 drivers and you have to register as a developer to get the 258.19-drivers, which have 1.1-support.

Thanks for the help and thanks to Vincent for posting the blog. :slight_smile:

This is really helpful! Thanks for posting. :slight_smile: