Thread: Tetture matrix defaults?

Member Contributor

Tetture matrix defaults?

I'm having the following problem:

One shader I wrote uses texture matrix 7. When I start my program the matrix is not initialized.

Running my program on a Geforce I get the expected behavior of the matrix being initialized to the identity matrix.

However, when I start the same program on an ATI card nothing gets rendered, as if the matrix defaults to 0.

Which one is correct according to GL specs?

Senior Member OpenGL Lord

Re: Tetture matrix defaults?

I'm pretty sure matrices are initialized to identity. However, have you considered that texture matrix 7 may not be supported on the hardware in question? You only have as many texture matrices as GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS, and the minimum for that is 2.

I'm rather surprised that what you did works on NVIDIA hardware, since they only support 4 fixed-function texture units.

Member Contributor

The hardware in question are ATI HD 5770 and HD 4850 so it's recent models. It doesn't matter which texture matrix I use here, they all produce the same glitch.

Also, why should the number of fixed function texture units have any effect on shaders?

Senior Member OpenGL Lord

Also, why should the number of fixed function texture units have any effect on shaders?
    That's where texture matrices come from. You set glMatrixMode(GL_TEXTURE), and that's the texture matrix for that texture unit. The fact that GLSL can access this matrix doesn't change the fact that it is a fixed-function parameter.

I checked the specs, and it turns out that the number of texture matrices is based on the number of texture coordinates, not texture units. Which has a minimum of 8.