Getting color from FFP in standalone frag shader?

Hi everyone, I’m writing a very, very simple fragment shader. This is compiled by itself, so that the FFP can supply its own vertex shader.

void main() {
    vec4 color = gl_ColorSoFar;
    gl_FragData[0] = vec4(color.rgb * color.a, color.a);
    gl_FragData[1] = vec4(1.0);
    //gl_FragColor = color;
}

I’m sure you’ve spotted the error: there’s no such thing as gl_ColorSoFar! I have no idea what to put there. I know that in the previous stage of the FFP, the vertex shader spits out some color, how do I grab it and continue with it?

Thanks!

Hi,
I can give u two solutions for this, the first is the answer (using FFP) and the second is what u should use now (modern opengl 3.0 and above GLSL version 330).
Old GLSL version using FFP
The per vertex color attribute comes in gl_Color register in the fragment shader if you assign to gl_FrontColor in the vertex shader. Add this to your vertex shader.

//vertex shader
void main() {
   gl_Position = gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * gl_Vertex;
   gl_FrontColor = gl_Color;
}

Then in the fragment shader, you may use gl_Color attributes as follows.

//Fragment shader
void main() {
   gl_FragColor = gl_Color;
}

Modern GLSL version
Now u assign the per vertex attributes yourself and also maintain the matrices. So the same shader becomes this.

//vertex shader
#version 330
in vec4 vVertex;
in vec4 vColor;

smooth out vec4 oColor;
uniform mat4 MVP;
void main() {
   gl_Position = MVP * vVertex;
   oColor = vColor;
}

//fragment shader
#version 330
smooth in vec4 oColor;
out vec4 vFragColor;
void main() {
   vFragColor = oColor;
}

Note that you need to maintain the attributes and matrices yourself.

Hope this helps,
Mobeen

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly.

That stuff is really interesting…

So it used to be that glVertex() would assign a value to gl_FragCoord, but now we have to make our own function to use instead, that will bind a position to vVertex?

So it used to be that glVertex() would assign a value to gl_FragCoord

Not directly. glVertex() would be transformed by the current matrices into a clip-space value, which then would be processed by the OpenGL hardware into a window-space coordinate. The interpolation of that coordinate over a triangle’s face would result in gl_FragCoord for a particular fragment.