check out my first opengl video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAYNmJsMr9E

it looks kinda like q3dm17 :stuck_out_tongue:

What books did you use? and also do you know how to embed other people’s stuff into your engine (e.g. Nvidia Physx…, or other lighting systems).

This is my next challenge for the summer

yes it is dm17 everyone loves that map
i did some research and found that nearly all games are based on id software so i chose to do the same
i dont use any books, just google and forums like this, hehe
oh and i look at quake3 source for reference
though most of the time even having the person who wrote the dang code recall what they did is a challenge
so i write as much as possible myself, this way i mold my own world while learning as much as i can from what others did
as far as embedding systems, again i prefer to do as much as i can myself, as this is why i chose to do this god awful task of 3d programming

i did some research and found that nearly all games are based on id software so i chose to do the same

You must not have done very much research, as this is not true in the slightest.

ok give me a game title and ill check the chart that maps it back to quake

“Beyond Good And Evil”

(hint: don’t claim stuff you can’t back up)

Any game made in Japan.

Any game made using the Unreal Engine.

Any Civilization game.

Any game made by Blizzard.

Any game made by BioWare.

In fact, any game that isn’t an FPS.

I would even go so far as to say any Source-engine-based game. While the Source engine was built on the Half-Life engine, which was built on the Quake 1 engine, I seriously doubt that after more than 10 years of constant work, there are any substantive similarities between them at this point.

ill check the chart that maps it back to quake

What chart?

ok well i was speaking regarding fps games
its my bad for not clearing that up
obviously you cant base a fighter jet on the design of a farm house
yes source is based on quake
and so is unreal i think but not sure
and no dont give me that after 10 years lol
this is exactly what im talking about
i didnt say it was quake i said its based on quake
and it wasnt why would they write that in the wiki
ill get you that chart
i have to find it

and so is unreal i think but not sure

No. It’s not.

and no dont give me that after 10 years lol
this is exactly what im talking about
i didnt say it was quake i said its based on quake

If you take a house, and then replace every brick, board, wall, plaster, floor, etc in that house with something else, is it the same house? Is it even based on that house?

No; it’s a new house. It’s not even “based on” the old house anymore; it’s a new house.

You’re working under the assumption that if you write some code that is “based on” Quake, the fact that some other engines are also “based on” Quake means that those skills will transfer.

The simple fact is that FPS’s are not that structurally different from one another. FPS engines all do pretty much the same stuff. The algorithms for managing them are all well known. In short, if you had written a demo “based on” Unreal, it would be just as applicable to the Source engine as writing code “based on” Quake. And that would be just as applicable to something “based on” CryTek engines. And so forth.