OpenGL ES vs Quartz 2D

Hello OpenGL Community!

I am a noob 2D iPhone game developer and would like to use graphics in my application. So I found two typs of APIs, OpenGL ES and Quartz 2D. I don’t know much about OpenGL ES but I read many OpenGL ES tutorials and try to understand that graphic library. In addition to this i found another framework called Quartz 2D.

I used google to search for a short overview about that two frameworks. I could only find some points that make the frameworks unique.

Quartz 2D:
I wrote that apple overview about Quartz 2D and I think that it is only used to create simple graphics with easy command.

OpenGL ES:
I found many tutotials and wiki articles about that topic. There are some reasons to use that framework in 2D applications. One reason is that is very useful for more detailed graphics. Many commands with many arguments for more attitude → better graphics. Also it used many triangles - so you can create every kind of graphic! Another point is that is is also used for 3D games and that is very famous. It gets every month new features and more! This features can be used for 2D games too → great updates. OpenGL ES can create graphics very fast (with very complex 2D transformations) - faster than Quartz 2D - and still is up to 100fps!

So thats the facts I found out. Can you tell me more facts or advantage/disadvantage (relative to 2D applications)? I am not sure that Quartz 2D is so “crap” and bad according to OpenGL ES.

Please help me to find out - whats the best for my 2D application. Please excuse my bad english :?

Best Regards,
gluse

What are you talking about?
Please delete your posts and let other users the option to answer! This posts are disincentive to other users - if they would like to know more about that topic!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.