Mipmap with Trilinear interpolation

I suggest to support mipmap with Trilinear interpolation.

Image pyramids are useful for many applications.

Since most GPUs has built-in support for mip-maps, such applications may benefit this feature.

Yoav

I agree. Most of the modern GPUs support this. I don’t see why the initial CL spec was so basic dealing with images. We need mipmapping, yep.

I don’t see why the initial CL spec was so basic dealing with images.

Precision issues. Trilinear filtering is done differently by different hardware vendors.

As for why other features like having image descriptors in structs were removed, that’s because some widely available hardware cannot support that.

That’s strange, because bilinear interpolation are supported, and it could also have “native_” version if it’s hard to guarantee the same precision on all devices.

I don’t think it’s related to precision issues, as trilinear interpolations are already defined for image3d.
Basically, every vendor that supports image2d can support mipmaps (just add a small array with the rectangle for each level where it stored in the global image). This is what I did to implement it manually. However, GPU vendors can exposed the hardware support for mipmaps and give much better performance for this functionality.

Yoav