Trying to write a custom struct to buffer (Fundamental Q'en)

Hi everyone:

I’m a new user of OpenCL and would like to ask the experts out there for your experience and advice on this question.

I am trying to write a ‘struct’ onto the device memory after the command “queue.enqueueWriteBuffer ( - - - )” but unfortunately I am receiving a “-38” error, which represents Invalid Memory Object.

I believe the ‘struct’ that I am using is padded to 8 bytes since I am only grouping two integer variables as shown below

struct test_struct 
{
   int A;
   int B;
};

Also I have attached the kernel code known as “second_cl.cl” – since I am writing my second CL program :wink:

struct __attribute__ ((packed)) test_struct
{
	int A;
	int B;
};

__kernel void second_cl (__global struct test_struct *a, __global struct test_struct *b)
{
	int tid = get_global_id(0);
	b[tid].A = a[tid].A;
	b[tid].B = a[tid].B;
}

As you can see, the kernel simply just takes the structure data from A and writes it to B. This is a simple exercise that I want to do if I wish to use structs in my OpenCL development – which is very likely the case.

Also, below my code (removed any error messages in order to compress the size of this post) is the host code that I have developed.

/////*********************************************************/////
/////***** SOURCE FILE: simple_mem_write_read_struct.cpp *****/////
/////*********************************************************/////

#define __CL_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <fstream>

#include "CL/cl.hpp"

using namespace std;

struct test_struct
{
	int A;
	int B;
};

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

cl::STRING_CLASS platformName, cl_program_name, cl_kernel_name;
	string K_FileName, kernel_name;

cl::Device cl_device;						// DEVICE IS GPU
	cl::Context cl_context;						// CONTEXT IDENTIFIER (AMD + GPU)
	cl::Program::Sources cl_source;			// SOURCE OF THE KERNEL
	cl::Program cl_program;						// PROGRAM OBJECT
	cl::Kernel cl_kernel_program;				// KERNEL PROGRAM OBJECT
	cl::Event event;								// EVENT
	cl::CommandQueue queue;						// COMMAND Q TO SUBMIT WORK TO THE GPU

vector <cl::Platform> platformList;		// PLATFORM LIST TO QUERY AMD PLATFORM
	vector <cl::Device> deviceList;			// DEVICE LIST TO QUERY LIST OF GPU CARDS (only one is available)

cl::Buffer device_buf_A, device_buf_B;			// Create Buffer Memory

test_struct *host_struct_in = new test_struct [1];				// HOST STRUCT OBJECT (FOR INPUT INTO GPU MEMORY)
	test_struct *host_struct_out = new test_struct [1];			// HOST STRUCT OBJECT (FOR OUTPUT FROM GPU MEMORY)

// INITIALIZE RANDOM VALUES //
	host_struct_in[0].A = 10;
	host_struct_in[0].B = 100;

if (argc == 1)
	{
		cerr << "----- ERROR! Please specify kernel -----" << endl;
		exit(1);
	}
	else
	{
		K_FileName = argv[1];
	}

// Initialize the CL_SOURCE OBJECT
	ifstream kernel_file (K_FileName.c_str());
	string kernel_program (istreambuf_iterator<char>(kernel_file), (istreambuf_iterator<char>()));
	cl_source = cl::Program::Sources (1, make_pair(kernel_program.c_str(), kernel_program.length() + 1));							// cl_source TO SOURCE OF KERNEL

try
	{
		cl::Platform::get(&platformList);
		cl_context_properties cprops[3] = {CL_CONTEXT_PLATFORM, (cl_context_properties)(platformList[0])(), 0};					// AUTOMATICALLY CHOOSE THE FIRST SINCE I'AM USING AMD
		cl_context = cl::Context (CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU, cprops);
		platformList[0].getDevices(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU, &deviceList);
		cl_device = deviceList[0];																															// AUTOMATICALLY CHOOSE THE FIRST SINCE I ONLY HAVE ON GPU DEVICE
		cl_program = cl::Program (cl_context, cl_source);																								// cl_program to CL PROGRAM OBJECT

vector <cl::Device> device_list;
		device_list.push_back(cl_device);

// BUILD THE SIMPLE MEM WRITE/READ KERNEL

try
		{
			cl_program.build(device_list);
		}
		catch (cl::Error& err)
		{
			cerr << "Build failed!" << err.what() << '(' << err.err() << ')' << endl;
			cerr << "Build log: " << endl << endl << cl_program.getBuildInfo<CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG>(device_list[0]);
			exit(1);
		}

cout << "Build Success! ";

kernel_name = K_FileName.substr(0, K_FileName.find(".cl", 0));

cl_kernel_program = cl::Kernel (cl_program, kernel_name.c_str());						// SET PRIVATE cl_kernel_program TO COMPILED KERNEL OBJECT

cl_kernel_program.getInfo((cl_kernel_info)CL_KERNEL_FUNCTION_NAME, &cl_kernel_name);
		cout << "Kernal found: \'" << cl_kernel_name << "\'" << endl;

// Initialize the command queue with the created context and device

queue = cl::CommandQueue (cl_context, cl_device(), 0);

// I GET THE ERROR OVER HERE

queue.enqueueWriteBuffer (device_buf_A, CL_TRUE, 0, sizeof (test_struct) * 1, host_struct_in);					// WRITE host_struct_in INTO device_buf_A memory

/*
		cl_kernel_program.setArg(0, device_buf_A);
		cl_kernel_program.setArg(1, device_buf_B);

queue.enqueueNDRangeKernel(cl_kernel_program, cl::NullRange, cl::NDRange(1), cl::NDRange(1,1), NULL, &event);		// EXECUTE THE KERNEL
		event.wait();

queue.enqueueReadBuffer(device_buf_B, CL_TRUE, 0, sizeof (test_struct) * 1, host_struct_out);					// READ device_buf_B and store it into host_struct_out host memory
		*/
	}
	catch (cl::Error &err)
	{
		cout << "----- ERROR: " << err.what() << " Code: " << err.err() << endl;
	}

}

Summary:

I created two test_structs of host_struct_in and host_struct_out, which the _in holds the input memory to the device, and _out holds the resulting data obtained from the GPU device memory respectively.

From thereafter, I created two buffers, device_buf_A and device_buf_B for host_struct_in and host_struct_out respectively. Both “sizeof”'s are the size of the struct.

In the comment “// I GET THE ERROR OVER HERE” is the location of where the queue.enqueueWriteBuffer command gave me the -38 error as invalid memory object. The code below that command is commented but “compile-able”.

After scouring through a lot of boards and blogs, I am unfortunately at a loss of how to rectify this problem. Can someone please kindly tell / show me how to solve this?

My system information is as follows:

CPU: Phenom II X6 1055T
Mem: 4GB DDR3 OCX
GPU: ATI FireStream 9270 (RV770 architecture)
SDK: ATI Stream SDK 2.3
Catalyst Version: 10.12

If someone can kindly please respond to my post, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and with best regards

Something is odd here. device_buf_A is never initialized in the code you provided, is it?

I thought struct had to be like:

typedef struct
{
  int a;
  int b;
} test_struct;

GeorgeR, the code you show does two things: it declares a struct and it performs a typedef on it. typedefs are not necessary to declare structs.