Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get metal or steel effect in OpenGL?

Junior Member Newbie

how to get metal or steel effect in OpenGL?

i have changed material and light settings, but the effect is not good.
    is there a way to get metal effect in opengl?

Member Contributor

Re: how to get metal or steel effect in OpenGL?

Hello, it depends a lot on your lighting code/shader.

Assuming they are correct here is a page with sample material values to imitate various materials (including some metals)

http://www.opengl.org/resources/code...s/node153.html
    My Blog

Senior Member OpenGL Lord

is there a way to get metal effect in opengl?
    There is no such thing as a "metal effect". There are many lighting models and surface parameters that can simulate the many, many kinds of metals. But there is no catch-all "metal effect" that you can just switch on.

What kind of metal surface are you trying to show? Is it smooth and polished? Is it rough? How is it rough; is its roughness fairly uniform or patchy? Is it painted metal or bare metal? And so on.

Junior Member Newbie

3ks,i will try it later

Junior Member Newbie

i want polished steel effect.
    i have googled it, it is said texture should be added to achieve the effect. is it true?

Junior Member Newbie

thanks for your link
    i want polished steel effect and i have tried with different material Parameters, unfortunatly the effect is not good. i think it is hard to achieve only by setting material parameters. light and texture must be added, but how to add......

Quote Originally Posted by Lefteris
    Hello, it depends a lot on your lighting code/shader.

Assuming they are correct here is a page with sample material values to imitate various materials (including some metals)

http://www.opengl.org/resources/code...s/node153.html

Member Contributor

Well from your replies it seems you really are not very familiar with openGL at all.

Of course in order to get the effect out of material parameters you will need lighting. Material parameters just define how your model will react to lighting calculations. With no light you will not be able to see nothing, just as if you were inside a pitch black room full of gold, silver and bronze coins you would see none of it.

So I would recommend reading some tutorials first. Are you aware of what is openGL fixed functionality? What is the major difference in programming openGL that version 2.0 introduced? If not just go with nehe's tutorials and start building up from there to see what is what.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Just use google. A good openGL lighting tutorial that explains what light is can be found here:
    http://www.falloutsoftware.com/tutorials/gl/gl8.htm

My Blog

Junior Member Newbie

my poor English prevent me from communicating with you guys...
    the effect desired is like this picturei think quite few people can achieve the effect, this could require good learning of material,light, texture, and need many practice, but i am not good at opengl )
    in fact i have used opengl several years, and know fundamental and extension of opengl. google is used every day many many times although it is often been blocked. gamedev is a good site but i can not visit it because the website include "game". what a tragedy!
    also i found some pdf on the network, but it seems quite complex(say, using Anisotropic Light Texture), so i came here for help and simpler way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefteris
    Well from your replies it seems you really are not very familiar with openGL at all.

Of course in order to get the effect out of material parameters you will need lighting. Material parameters just define how your model will react to lighting calculations. With no light you will not be able to see nothing, just as if you were inside a pitch black room full of gold, silver and bronze coins you would see none of it.

So I would recommend reading some tutorials first. Are you aware of what is openGL fixed functionality? What is the major difference in programming openGL that version 2.0 introduced? If not just go with nehe's tutorials and start building up from there to see what is what.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Just use google. A good openGL lighting tutorial that explains what light is can be found here:
    http://www.falloutsoftware.com/tutorials/gl/gl8.htm

Senior Member Regular Contributor remdul's Avatar

You can achieve something similar in two ways, environment map reflection using cubemap. Look up any cubemap or 'envmap' tutorial and it should get you on the way.

It is also possible to do something similar using eye space texture projection and a normal texture (no cube map).

Junior Member Newbie

thank you
    sincerely
    Quote Originally Posted by remdul
    You can achieve something similar in two ways, environment map reflection using cubemap. Look up any cubemap or 'envmap' tutorial and it should get you on the way.

It is also possible to do something similar using eye space texture projection and a normal texture (no cube map).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast