Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A simple question about glScissor().

  1. #1
    Member Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    74

    Question A simple question about glScissor().

    Does the scissor operation such as glScissor() operate before the rasterization of the geometric elmenets or after it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecow View Post
    Does the scissor operation such as glScissor() operate before the rasterization of the geometric elmenets or after it?
    The OpenGL Specs say that the scissor test comes after rasterization, but the OpenGL Specs only define behaviour, not implementation. That means a driver may implement the scissor test in any way that yields the same results as the OpenGL Spec. Many drivers implement the scissor in the rasterizer, i.e. they don't generate fragments that fall outside the scissor rectangle.

  3. #3
    Member Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by mbentrup View Post
    The OpenGL Specs say that the scissor test comes after rasterization, but the OpenGL Specs only define behaviour, not implementation. That means a driver may implement the scissor test in any way that yields the same results as the OpenGL Spec. Many drivers implement the scissor in the rasterizer, i.e. they don't generate fragments that fall outside the scissor rectangle.
    Thanks a lot!
    And can you tell me what graphics card you are using? Or do you know whether the graphics card as ATI or Nvidia do scissor test before rasterization or after it?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    256
    I don't know how specific cards implement scissor, but I think most implement the scissor test directly in the rasterizer. See http://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2011/07...e-2011-part-6/ for a detailed explanation how modern hardware rasterizers work.

  5. #5
    Member Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by mbentrup View Post
    I don't know how specific cards implement scissor, but I think most implement the scissor test directly in the rasterizer. See http://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2011/07...e-2011-part-6/ for a detailed explanation how modern hardware rasterizers work.
    Thanks a lot, mbentrup! You've really provided something valuable.


    Best Regards,


    newbiecow

Similar Threads

  1. A simple question
    By Lee_Jennifer_82 in forum OpenGL: Basic Coding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 12:30 AM
  2. a simple question
    By drdolittle in forum OpenGL: Basic Coding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM
  3. A simple question
    By pantxua in forum OpenGL: GLSL
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 04:11 AM
  4. Simple Question!
    By lost- in forum OpenGL: Basic Coding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2002, 07:58 AM
  5. Simple Question
    By jaredmdame in forum OpenGL: Basic Coding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2001, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Proudly hosted by Digital Ocean