Thread: Strange value from GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE

Member Contributor

Strange value from GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE

Im trying to get the maximum allowed size for points.

Code :
    float sizes[2];
    glGetFloatv( GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE, sizes);

It says 1.0 and 63.375. Now thats not true, I can set it to 500 and it works. Why Im I getting 63? Thanks

Member Contributor
    ok i found it in microsoft references:
    Not all sizes are supported when point antialiasing is enabled. If an unsupported size is requested, the nearest supported size is used. Only size 1.0 is guaranteed to be supported; others depend on the implementation. The range of supported sizes and the size difference between supported sizes within the range can be queried by calling glGet with arguments GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE and GL_POINT_SIZE_GRANULARITY.
    so if you set 500 the program uses 63 value because is the nearest supported size, hope you learnd

Member Contributor
    I dont really get it. I set it to 500 with glPointSize( 500) ...if I querry the current size, it says 500. Also it draws it 500 pixels wide. It just says that the range is from 1 to 63.

Member Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliii View Post
    I dont really get it. I set it to 500 with glPointSize( 500) ...if I querry the current size, it says 500. Also it draws it 500 pixels wide. It just says that the range is from 1 to 63.
    i tried to do what your code have to do and the result is that if i set glPointSize(500.0f) i get i max size of about 189 from glGetFloatv(GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE, sizes);
    so i think the point is that you should not set a size grater then your max size, i suppose. i can't really think an other way to interpret it

ok i fugured out, i read again the reference and i found that GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE works only when anti-aliasing is applied, so if you want to apply anti_alising, your point' size will be maximum about 63

Member Contributor
    Thanks! Thats OK then, Im using shaders. It was just strange.

Im putting it here if anybody else runs into this:
    "Non-antialiased point size may be clamped to an implementation-dependent maximum. Although this maximum cannot be queried, it must be no less than the maximum value for antialiased points, rounded to the nearest integer value."