Thread: glcolor4 works in debugger but not in exe

Member Newbie

glcolor4 works in debugger but not in exe

Hi, I am using win 8.1 and Visual studio 13 developing a 64 bit mfc app
    My app works fine in the debugger but seems to ignore the colours when I run the exe. Everything is red.

Anyone any clues as to where to start looking?

Regards

MacSam

Newbie OpenGL Pro
    Look for unitialized local variables - this is the most common cause of this kind of behavioural difference between debug and release builds.

Member Newbie
    Thanks, all these variables have been initialised. I appreciate we need to be precise. This works with 32 bit mfc exe. (maybe it was just luck)
    if (cRed != 0)
    gfRed = (GLfloat)(cRed / 255.0f); //(GLfloat)cRed / (GLfloat)255.0f;
    else
    gfRed = 0.0f;

if (cGreen != 0)
    gfGreen = gfGreen = (GLfloat)(cGreen / 255.0f);// (GLfloat)cGreen / (GLfloat)255.0f;
    else
    gfGreen = 0.0f;

if (cBlue != 0)
    gfBlue = (GLfloat)(cBlue / 255.0f);//(GLfloat)cBlue / (GLfloat)255.0f;
    else
    gfBlue = 0.0f;

glColor4f( (GLfloat)gfRed, (GLfloat)gfGreen, (GLfloat)gfBlue, (GLfloat)1.0f );
    glVertex3f((GLfloat)(dE1), (GLfloat)(dN1), (GLfloat)dZ1);

Newbie OpenGL Pro
    What about the values of cRed, cGreen and cBlue? Are they initialized?

Also worth trying - since cRed, cGreen and cBlue seem to be of unsigned char type:
    Code :
    glColor4ub (cRed, cGreen, cBlue, 255);
    Does this do anything different?

Member Newbie
    Thanks for your help Mhagain.

I seem to have fixed it. I think it was defaulting to the intel graphics card, I forced it to use the NVDIA card - it has more memory. Thank you for showing me the glColour4ub. That is another tool for me to use.

Member Newbie
    glColor4ub (cRed, cGreen, cBlue, 255); will give me an opportunity to use a bit less memory,every byte counts.

BTW how do you get the code to display in the box?

Newbie OpenGL Pro
    In this case memory usage is quite unimportant, but as a general rule beware of "every byte counts" thinking when it comes to programming with a hardware accelerated 3D API. There are several cases where memory alignment and packing rules are far more important for performance, and they can mean burning a little extra memory in exchange for orders of magnitude more performance. Because it's not the 1970s any more you can treat memory as a cheap and plentiful resource that is there to be used (provided you don't do anything silly). After all, if you have a GPU with 2gb of RAM but you only ever use 128mb of that - you're wasting the other 1920mb.

For the code I used code tags. Try doing "reply with quote" to my post to see.

Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
    In this case memory usage is quite unimportant, but as a general rule beware of "every byte counts" thinking when it comes to programming with a hardware accelerated 3D API. There are several cases where memory alignment and packing rules are far more important for performance, and they can mean burning a little extra memory in exchange for orders of magnitude more performance. Because it's not the 1970s any more you can treat memory as a cheap and plentiful resource that is there to be used (provided you don't do anything silly). After all, if you have a GPU with 2gb of RAM but you only ever use 128mb of that - you're wasting the other 1920mb.

For the code I used code tags. Try doing "reply with quote" to my post to see.
    Thanks, is there anyway I can trap that there is a problem\issue with the graphics card?