Raytracing support in OpenGL (equivalent of DXR)?

Hi,

I have read there is work in progress regarding a Vulkan port of DXR, with specific extensions such as VK_NV_raytracing.

Are there any planned extensions for OpenGL?

Thanks,
Fred

[QUOTE=fred_em;1292392]I have read there is work in progress regarding a Vulkan port of DXR, with specific extensions such as VK_NV_raytracing.

Are there any planned extensions for OpenGL?[/QUOTE]

I asked 2 different NVidia guys at SIGGRAPH this year (one of which was presenting on “NVidia RTX on Vulkan” in the NVidia booth), and both said that there are no plans to support the raytracing capability from OpenGL.

(RTX being the new GPU line which has the new RT cores – for HW-accelerated ray tracing support – in addition to CUDA and Tensor cores.)

Thanks for your reply. Like you, I thought the feature would not be accessible.
But apparently, raytracing is being made available for OpenGL too, through GL_NVX_raytracing !

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/GLSL/blob/master/extensions/nvx/GLSL_NVX_raytracing.txt

Or maybe I am dreaming it, not sure, not properly awaken this morning!

Maybe I am mistaken and this is only GLSL (not OpenGL).

Right, GLSL not GL. The shader authoring path for Vulkan is GLSL cross-compiled to SPIR-V, so the addition of GLSL_NVX_raytracing and SPV_NVX_raytracing is consistent with the addition of VK_NVX_raytracing.

I do find it interesting though that though the URL for GLSL_NVX_raytracing reads GLSL_, the actual extension spec, as well as the reference to it on the VK_NVX_raytracing link reads “GL_NVX_raytracing”. Could be due to a late rename to GLSL_ to avoid exactly the confusion you’re talking about.

Yes, I noticed this too!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.