VBOs and Shared Contexts?

Hello,

I’m trying to add VBOs to an old OpenGL program, however I have a small problem. glBufferSubData() is always failing and returning GL_INVALID_OPERATION. This is a MFC program with 4 splitter views, and it uses a shared rendering context among all of them. So, along with the shared RC, each view has its own RC.

Now, whenever I create, delete, or modify VBOs, I use wglMakeCurrent() to switch back to the shared RC. When I’m done, I switch back to the previous RC. From what I understand, glBufferSubData() should work, but it doesn’t work for me. I also tried modifying VBOs with glMapBuffer() and glUnmapBuffer(), but I always get back a NULL pointer.

I tested the same situation with all three buffers types, GL_STREAM_DRAW, GL_STATIC_DRAW, and GL_DYNAMIC_DRAW. glBufferSubData() and glMapBuffer() still failed. I tested all VBOs with glGetBufferParameteriv() and GL_BUFFER_MAPPED. They all returned zero.

I have also downloaded a simple VBO demo program, that uses all the VBO functions that I use, and both glMapBuffer() and glBufferSubData() works. So, this problem has nothing to do with my computer, drivers, or graphics card. But, this demo doesn’t use a shared RC.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced a problem like this before, and what did you do to resolve it. I don’t know what else to check. Thanks.

Basic code:

// VBO creation
 glGenBuffers( 1, &vertex_id );
 glBindBuffer( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertex_id );
 glBufferData( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, num_vertices * sizeof(VERTEX), vertices, GL_STREAM_DRAW );

// VBO modify (try1)
 glBufferSubData( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0, num_vertices * sizeof(VERTEX), vertices );

// VBO modify (try2)
 BYTE *ptr = (BYTE *)glMapBuffer( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL_WRITE_ONLY );
 if(ptr) {
    memcpy( (BYTE *)ptr, (BYTE *)vertices, num_vertices * sizeof(VERTEX) );
 }
 glUnmapBuffer( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER );