Maximum number of work-items

I have a question related to the maximum number of work-items that can be set using enqueueNDRangeKernel. According to the getInfo-functions my graphics card, the meager AMD Radeon HD 6450, has the following specifications:
CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 256
CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES()[0]: 256

But when I set the cl::NDRange global(dim), with dim > 256, it stil executes and calculates values.

Here is the sample code, and OpenCLObject is my own class which takes care of storing kernels, creating a program/platforms etc.

float matrixMultOpenCL(int dim,OpenCLObject &CLObj)
{
	if(dim % 4)
	{
		cout << "dims must be mult of 4";
		exit(1);
	}

float* A = new float[dim*dim];
	float* B = new float[dim*dim];
	float* result = new float[dim*dim];

for (int i = 0; i < dim*dim; i++)
	{
		A[i] = (float)(rand() % 10);
		B[i] = (float)(rand() % 10);
	}
	for (int i = 0; i < dim*dim; i++)
			result[i] = 0.0f;

cl_ulong start, finish;
	cl::NDRange global(dim);
	cl:: NDRange local(1);
	cl::NDRange offset(NULL);
	//std::cout << CLObj.get_queues()[1].getInfo<CL_QUEUE_DEVICE>().getInfo<CL_DEVICE_PROFILING_TIMER_RESOLUTION>();
	cl::Event profiling;
	int matMultIndx = CLObj.findKernelIndex("matrix_mult");

void* modelOutputMappedMem;
	cl::Buffer bufferR = cl::Buffer(CLObj.get_context(), CL_MEM_WRITE_ONLY, sizeof(float)*dim*dim);
	cl::Buffer bufferA = cl::Buffer(CLObj.get_context(), CL_MEM_READ_ONLY | CL_MEM_COPY_HOST_PTR, sizeof(float)*dim*dim,A);
	cl::Buffer bufferB = cl::Buffer(CLObj.get_context(), CL_MEM_READ_ONLY| CL_MEM_COPY_HOST_PTR, sizeof(float)*dim*dim,B);

CLObj.get_kernels()[matMultIndx].setArg(0, bufferA);
	CLObj.get_kernels()[matMultIndx].setArg(1, bufferB);
	CLObj.get_kernels()[matMultIndx].setArg(2, bufferR);

CLObj.get_queues()[0].enqueueNDRangeKernel(CLObj.get_kernels()[matMultIndx], cl::NullRange, global,local,NULL,&profiling);

modelOutputMappedMem = CLObj.get_queues()[0].enqueueMapBuffer(bufferR,
	CL_TRUE,CL_MAP_READ, 0,sizeof(float)*dim*dim);//,&waitList);
	memcpy(result,modelOutputMappedMem,sizeof(float)*dim*dim);
	CLObj.get_queues()[0].enqueueUnmapMemObject(bufferR,modelOutputMappedMem);

start = profiling.getProfilingInfo<CL_PROFILING_COMMAND_START>();
	finish = profiling.getProfilingInfo<CL_PROFILING_COMMAND_END>();
	for(int i = 0; i <dim; i++)
	{
		cout <<"last el: " <<result[dim*dim-1-i]<<endl;
	}
	delete A;
	delete B;
	delete result;

//cout<<"time executing kernel: " << float(finish-start)/1000.0f <<"uS";
	return float(finish-start)/1000.0f;
}

Shouldn’t this produce an error, or at least return erroneous values for the matrix-multiplication?

Kernel-code:

kernel void matrix_mult(__global float4 *a_mat,
__global float4 *b_mat, __global float *c_mat) 
{
	float sum;
	int num_rows = get_global_size(0);
	int vectors_per_row = num_rows/4;
	int start = get_global_id(0) * vectors_per_row;
	a_mat += start;
	c_mat += start*4;
	for(int i=0; i<num_rows; i++) 
	{
		sum = 0.0f;
		for(int j=0; j<vectors_per_row; j++) 
		{
			sum += dot(a_mat[j],
			b_mat[i*vectors_per_row + j]);
		}
		c_mat[i] = sum;
	}
}

I have another question regarding the code above. As you probably can see, I am profiling the execution time of the kernel. However, I would also like to know how long it takes to send the matrices to the GPU, but since neither setArg() or the buffer-constructor can have an event associated, how can I know how long the data-transfer takes?

As far as I understand, the way I create the buffer objects mean that I implicitly map the buffers, meaning the data is implicitly sent to the device.

Maximum work group size, maximum work item sizes (for each dimension, and kernel maximum work group size all limit the LOCAL work group size. They do not limit the GLOBAL work size. The OpenCL runtime runs as many groups as needed to execute all global work.

To profile memory transfers, instead of combing the buffer creation with the transfer, explicitly do the transfer using clEnqueueWriteBuffer and use an event (similarly to what you’re doing for profiling the kernel execution).

Alternatively, use NVIDIA Parallel Nsight or AMD APP Profiler to capture traces. Both tools provide profiling numbers and timelines.

combing -> combining

Thank you very much for your replies – they where helpful and cleared up a few misconceptions.