Range of valid indices for glGenTextures, glGenBuffers

I’m programming OpenGL 1.1 ES in Android, i.e. using fixed pipeline.

I’m using glGenTextures and glGenBuffers, which return an index in array (I use them only for one texture/buffer at a time). What is tha guaranteed range of this index?

Empirically, I observed that valid indices start with 1, but documentation doesn’t mention anything about it. Is the value 0 guaranteed to be invalid?

I need it because sometimes I need to check if a texture/buffer was loaded already or not. If 0 can be valid, I need to initialize my values to -1 (to be able to detect that they are uninitialized/unloaded), but if 0 is invalid texture/buffer name, then things are easier.

In Android, an int[] is filled, but in OpenGL ES API, I saw that there are GLUint values there. So I’m afraid that (in theory) even initializing to -1 in my Android program can be incorrect, because (in theory) an uint can return 0xFFFFFFFF.

So what is the valid range, and what is the invalid range/value that I can be sure that it doesn’t represent a valid texture/buffer name (index)?

This is covered in the Red Book:

Naming A Texture Object
Any nonzero unsigned integer may be used as a texture name. To avoid accidentally reusing names, consistently use
glGenTextures() to provide unused texture names.
void glGenTextures(GLsizei n, GLuint *textureNames);
Returns n currently unused names for texture objects in the array textureNames. The names returned in
textureNames do not have to be a contiguous set of integers.
The names in textureNames are marked as used, but they acquire texture state and dimensionality (1D or 2D)
only when they are first bound.
Zero is a reserved texture name and is never returned as a texture name by glGenTextures().

Regards, Clay

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.