Mmaped buffers: Memory leaks and GART errors

We are trying to process images from a framegrabber. The data appears on a mmaped buffer.

Every time we use the mmaped buffer on OpenCL we are getting an error message on syslog and the Slab section of /proc/mem_info increases. On our system we are leaking around 1 MB per second!

syslog error: [fglrx:MCIL_LockMemory] ERROR Could not lock memory into GART space

In order to demonstrate this error we have made a simple program with a loop that maps and unmaps a mmaped buffer. While running the program please run dmesg and examine /proc/mem_info. We are using the AMD implementation of OpenCL: Driver linux_x64 13.4.

Is there anything special we should do when handling mmaped memory?

This is the demo program:

#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <CL/opencl.h>

#define BUF_SIZE 4096

#define cl_err_exit(errnum, errstring){
if (errnum != CL_SUCCESS) {
fprintf(stderr, "%s failed on line %d: %d
", errstring, LINE, errnum);
exit(1);
}
}

int main ()
{
cl_platform_id platform_id = NULL;
cl_device_id device_id = NULL;
cl_context context = NULL;
cl_command_queue gpu_queue = NULL;
cl_int err;

cl_mem pinned_buffer = NULL;
cl_mem device_buffer = NULL;

void *pinned_mem;
int fd;

fd = open("/dev/mem", O_RDONLY);
if (fd == -1) {
	perror("open");
	exit(1);
}

pinned_mem = mmap(NULL, BUF_SIZE, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);
if (pinned_mem == MAP_FAILED) {
	perror("mmap");
	exit(1);
}

err = clGetPlatformIDs(1, &platform_id, NULL);
cl_err_exit(err, "clGetPlatformIDs");

err = clGetDeviceIDs(platform_id, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU, 1, &device_id, NULL);
cl_err_exit(err, "clGetDeviceIDs");

context = clCreateContext(NULL, 1, &device_id, NULL, NULL, &err);
cl_err_exit(err, "clCreateContext");
gpu_queue = clCreateCommandQueue(context, device_id, 0, &err);
cl_err_exit(err, "clCreateCommandQueue");
while (1) {

pinned_buffer = clCreateBuffer(context, CL_MEM_USE_HOST_PTR, BUF_SIZE, pinned_mem, &err);
	cl_err_exit(err, "clCreateBuffer");

device_buffer = clCreateBuffer(context, CL_MEM_READ_ONLY, BUF_SIZE, NULL, NULL);
	cl_err_exit(err, "clCreateBuffer");

pinned_mem = (float *) clEnqueueMapBuffer(gpu_queue, pinned_buffer, CL_TRUE, CL_MAP_WRITE, 0, BUF_SIZE, 0, NULL, NULL, &err);
	cl_err_exit(err, "clEnqueueMapBuffer");

err = clEnqueueWriteBuffer(gpu_queue, device_buffer, CL_FALSE, 0, BUF_SIZE, pinned_mem, 0, NULL, NULL);
	cl_err_exit(err, "clEnqueueWriteBuffer");

err = clEnqueueUnmapMemObject(gpu_queue, pinned_buffer, pinned_mem, 0, NULL, NULL);
	cl_err_exit(err, "clEnqueueUnmapMemObject");

clFinish(gpu_queue);
	clReleaseMemObject(pinned_buffer);
	clReleaseMemObject(device_buffer);
}
clReleaseCommandQueue(gpu_queue);
clReleaseContext(context);
munmap(pinned_mem, BUF_SIZE);
close(fd);

return 0;

}

Correct me if i’m wrong but you dont have to clEnqueueWriteBuffer to update the data. All you have to do is write to the buffer and unmap it. that should sync the memory.

Hello clint3112

Right now there is no OpenCL kernel in the example, to rule out that there is a problem with it. I believe that if there were a kernel launch before clEnqueueUnmapMemObject you would need the enqueue writebuffer to process valid data on the gpu…

Anyway: Even If comment the clEnqueueWriteBuffer I still get the “Could not lock memory into GART space” error and the Slab keeps rising…

Not sure exactly why you’re doing the mmap yourself. Pinning the memory won’t necessarily gain the performance you require. To get it working, just let the runtime allocate the memory for you - AMD should be pinning it if you do CL_MEM_ALLOC_HOST_PTR (they’ll create the space). The point, is that to gain advantages from pinned memory it needs to be pinned && DMA Host Accessible.

Also, you don’t need the clEnqueueWriteBuffer as clint said. You just map -> edit -> Unmap.

Hello

In my real application I am using a framegrabber. That framegrabber places the frames on a memory mapped area. I dont want to copy those frames to other pinned memory, I want to use it straight from the framegrabber.When I try to do that I see the gart error on the syslog and the driver leaks memory.

This error happens with every memory mapped area, not only with that particular framegrabber. We made that program so everyone could experience with the error, it is cheaper than buying a framegrabber :).

The program that I propose shows the gart error and you can monitor that the Slab section keeps rising on an AMD implementation.

Thanks!

Seem to need to be device accessible (GPU Memory Mapping | TechPowerUp Forums).

Have you tried nvidia?

In nvidia the test application seems to work fine. No error message on syslog and the Slab section does not increase. Unfortunately I have to use AMD hardware for the real application.

The driver seems to work fine on any memory allocated with malloc, so I believe that the hardware is capable of accessing the whole RAM, it has some troubles accesing memory that has been mmaped, so I guess there is something wrong in AMDs implementation.

You should probably report your problem to AMD (they have a forum dedicated to OpenCL questions and issues over at their devgurus.amd.com site)

I have already created a post there, (thread 166692 on devgurus, I cannot post the url) Seems that they are working on it, althought I didnt give any feedback in 10 days :S. It is a pity, because this bug is really blocking our project.