OpenMax encode on Windows

Hi

I’m developing a demonstration system which takes raw pixel data from largeish images (800x800 typically) and currently pumps them via TCP/IP to a hand-held viewer. I’m using a Raspberry Pi as the renderer in the viewer. This is currently in development and works fineish using the 100Mb Raspberry Pi Ethernet port but unsurprisingly is pretty useless over WiFi. Ideally the viewer should be completely disconnected from the image generation source so I’d like to pursue the WiFi route.

From what I’ve read I understand that the Raspberry Pi hardware will directly handle image data encoded into a format suitable for use by the OpenMax libraries. My image generation system is Windows-only and I have access to the raw images on each frame. Is it possible to encode in Windows 7 each of these images into whatever stream is required by the Raspberry Pi for transfer over TCP/UDP? Would I require an OpenMax encoder? Or could I use something like VLC to do the work for me?

I imagine any questions I have about decoding on the Pi will probably be answered by trawling the web.

Thanks

John

Looks like I’m on my own with this. In the absence of any replies I’ve done the work and found the following…

There are comprehensive examples on the Raspberry Pi at /opt/vc. I found coding examples for Windows media foundation and created a h264 video using a camera, transferred the resulting file to the RPi and ran it on the hello_video example which works with its own example h264 file. Did it work? No.

A bit more trawling and I found mention of Omxplayer on the Pi. This did work. So that answers the question.

Moderator - I’m going to blather on about the Pi, if you think I should be somewhere else please tell me to go.

Two problems here, both the example and Omxplayer took over the whole screen and left it in a parlous state when run with X, my current app uses Qt and is interactive and I’ve a feeling that I might have to create a whole new windowing system to achieve the same functionality if I want to use the decoding abilities available in OpenMax. Any thoughts on this?

The examples on the Pi are simple, the code and dependencies for Omxplayer are huge. Apart from the fact that one works with a Windows created h264 and the other doesn’t I’m mystified by the difference in complexity.

I’ve still got to write/pinch the code that will stream across the network so that I can see if this is a practical solution. If it is then there’s a lot of work to do.

John