Online OpenGL ES hardware / capabilities database (currently only android)

Some of you might know the glCapsViewer OpenGL hardware capability database I’ve set up roughly two years ago. The intention was an online database where OpenGL developers would be able to quickly check OpenGL capabilities (extensions, limits, etc.) of different OpenGL implementations, providing a free tool (the glCapsViewer) to upload hardware reports. With now more than 400 reports online and lots of visits each day it looks like lots of developres are using that database as a developemtn aid.

So over the recent weeks I started to create a similiar (and free) database for OpenGL ES. But contrary to the OpenGL database I want to fecht some feedback in advance, before putting everything (mainly the app) online (and thus avoiding some of the mistakes I made with the OpenGL database).

You can check out an early version of the online database over here : hp://delphigl.de/glcapsviewer/gles_launchpad.php (please replace hp with http, the forum wont’ allow adding URLs). It’s still in a very early stage, but the basic functionality is there. Aside from the visual stuff, features like comparing reports and stastics pages will be added in the future, but the early version allows you to take a look at what I’m trying to achieve.

One of the main goals was to add interesting stuff not directly OpenGL ES - related, so you’ll also get a list of sensors and features for each device. As the database will (hopefully) be also used by game developers, the sensors might come in handy. It’ll support OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.0 (and future versions once they become available), ES 1.0 might be added if requested.

So feel free to browse through (the yet very limited) early database and put up your feedback. It’s still time to influence the final version of this database :wink:

Please note that currently only android is supported (though the database is designed in a way that would easily allow to add other OpenGL ES platforms), and that eh Android App is not yet available. As with glCapsViewer, the Android app will be free, but before releasing it to the public, I’d like to check out and incorporate your feedback first to make this a valuable ressource right from the start.

Just a quick headsup that the application is now available on Google’s PlayStore (for free) : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.saschawillems.glescapsviewer

It’s the first version, and also my first android application releassd to the public, so it may (and I guess also will ;)) crash. It should work on Android 3.0 and up, and supports OpenGL ES 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.

Currently implemented features :
OpenGL ES implementation info :

• Versions
  • Extensions
  • Compressed formats
  • Shader and program binary formats
  • OpenGL ES 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 caps
  • EGL implenentation details
    It also gathers device information (no personal data!) that may be of use for developers :
  • Operating system, screen size and CPU info
  • Hardware sensors (including range and resolution)
  • Android features

These reports can then be submitted to the online database, from where they’re freely available to the public and hopefully of use to any android developer : htt*://delphigl.de/glcapsviewer/gles_launchpad.php

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.